Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am the original owner of a 94 Legacy with 248K miles and, sadly, the transmission is going out. I've read the threads on here about adding TransX, so I had the transmission flushed and refilled and added TransX. This worked great for a while, but when it gets cold out, the transmission either won't go above 3rd gear or jumps around between 3,4, and 5. I went to a transmission shop and they said they can rebuild it and give me a lifetime guarantee, but they can't predict the end cost - they said it will be between $1800 and $3000. Otherwise the car runs pretty well. Engine light comes on occasionlly, but then the next time I start it it won't be on. So...I'm trying to decide if I should bite the bullet and retire my old Legacy or have the transmission rebuilt. I HATE spending money, so I HATE signing up for a new car payment. I know it's a pure judgement call, but I just wanted to get some input before I give up on it. Anybody have any thoughts?

OK, I'm a complete novice with cars, but I'm interested in learning. Swapping a transmission is somethign I'd like to try, but I figured that being a '94, I'd only be swapping an old transmission with lots of miles on it to another transmssion that is also old but maybe a little less miles on it. Is it really worth doing that?

Transmission really isn't very hard to swap, but the auto is heavy. Especially if it's your first time doing this type of thing I'd suggest having a friend who knows about cars to help physically move the parts around and get it installed right.

The transmission in my 2nd gen legacy has 242k on it and works really nice. So, it'll either blow up in 6k... or yours just had an abnormal problem. But as long as you get one in the low 100k range you should be fine for a while.

Ok, I need to do some research on what this will take. My first two quesions are: 1) do I need to take the engine out or can I do this from underneath? and 2) can I buy a used tranny based on year, model, AWD, non-turbo (I already found one for $375) or do I need more info to spec? Anybody have a recommendation for where to look for more detailed How To info?

Not worth rebuilding the subaru auto, becuase most shops are not capable of rebuilding the Subaru 4eat correctly. I see lots of failed attempts at rebuilds threads..

I would go to car-parts.com and find a lower mileage used trans. They come with 30 day warranty, then have your shop install the used one.

make sure you get the right ratio, and it is verified to be correct.

used trans whould run less than 400 to buy one.

It would be wise to get a new torque converter. They tend to go bad over time with the filings getting into them and then the lock up messes up.

Transmission shops usually screw up Subaru transmission rebuilds.

but when it gets cold out, the transmission either won't go above 3rd gear

When it's cold, it either won't go into fourth or lock up the torque converter (I forget which), until the ATF warms up. So maybe something is weird with your ATF temp sensor if it seems to be doing it longer than it used to?

jumps around between 3,4, and 5.
The transmission has only four gears; there is no fifth gear. When the torque converter locks in fourth that can feel like another shift sometimes.

I have never swapped out a Subie tranny, but have read on this forum, that it is critical to mount & bolt up to the engine correctly to the new tranny. Lots written on this forum about that. To do it wrong, ruins the new tranny, that you are installing, so you gotta know what you are doing, to get it right.

My past experience........ about 5 years ago, I had a 91 Leggie wagon. The auto tranny went bad. It refused to shift out of second gear into a higher gear. I didn't have the garage, tool resources, knowledge, or time to swap out the tranny, so I traded it in for a newer OBW.

I've never pulled an auto tranny, but I've pulled the engine on an auto. And pulling the tranny itself can't be too much different than a 5speed.

I think what you've been hearing about pulling the transmission is making sure the torque converter doesn't stick with the engine, and installing again to make sure the torque converter is seated all the way before torquing anything down.

It's really not a big deal, actually, just requires a bit of attention to detail. The first time I did it the process wasn't nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be.

I would pull the engine for easier access. Make sure it's not TCU related, or the next trans will be doing the same thing.

You will want to remove the exhaust header to allow room to drop the trans.

You can yank the trans from under the hood, and install from under the hood with a crane, if you get the angle right. I find this easiest.

otherwise, slide the trans under the car (the pitch bracket likes to be in the way) , and use the crane to lift it over the engine crossmember, and jack up the rear to bolt on the trans mount, and the motor is ready to go in.

What you are thinking of is seating the torque converter correctly BEFORE bolting up the engine.

There is a rubber plug in the bellhousing that you can use to get to the TC bolts (4)

remove these first before separating the bellhousing, and use a bar to keep the TC with the trans as it comes apart.

After install, mate the engine and trans first, then install the TC bolts, and the rubber plug.

Thanks for the input everyone. Sounding like it's too much for me to tackle and risky even if I go to a shop. I'm starting to look around for a new car. Any suggestions on how to get the most out of selling this car? Would anyone want to buy a 94 Legacy with 250k?

Thanks for the input everyone. Sounding like it's too much for me to tackle and risky even if I go to a shop. I'm starting to look around for a new car. Any suggestions on how to get the most out of selling this car? Would anyone want to buy a 94 Legacy with 250k?

Without fixing the tranny, you don't really have a sell-able car, particularly with it being a 94 with 250K miles. At this point it is basically a "parts car." I frequent wrecking yards, and see cars that physically look good with maybe 150K miles on the odo. I have to guess the reason the car is now in the yard is because either the engine or tranny has gone bad, and the owner gave up on repairing the car. The only avenue left was to sell it to the wrecking yard, and get perhaps $200-400 for the car. I know this is not what you want to hear, but it is the unfortunate reality of car ownership. You may want to call a couple of wrecking yards to get a quote for what they would pay you for your car.

OK, thanks again for the input.

Another thought........some years back, I had a beloved car that I bought new in 1984. I truly loved that car, but finally the rear suspension mount broke because of rust. It was time to put the car down. I did not have the heart to send it to a wrecking yard, so I donated the car to Goodwill Industries. It sold at their weekly auction for $200. I am happy I went this route.

CNY, if I were in this situation, considering the expense of replacing the transmission and the low value of it in the current condition, is to just drive it until it finally gives out. I mean your description sounded like it was doing a little bit of weird shifting, but unless it is slipping, it might last that way for quite a while yet. And even if the trans does give out, you still then have the option to replace it, but who knows the thing might last another year or two like that. It might not even be the transmission having trouble; I think sometimes the TPS can cause weird shifting because if it detects a rapid change in the throttle position it may downshift one or even two gears.