Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front axle compatibility Gen I / Gen II?

Are the AWD axles for the front compatible for say a '96 n/a Legacy and an '00 Outback? The only difference I could see by looking at them side by side was that the '00 Outback axle has a tone ring, which I think I read could simply be driven off if not needed.

I didn't count the splines but they looked the same. Appeared to be the same length.

I put a reman axle in my '96 Legacy and now it's making this [thread=127722]metal on metal rubbing sound now[/thread]. I have an unused reman axle for an '00 Outback. If i can drive the tone ring off and run it in the '96 that would tell me whether it is the axle making this noise or not.

Oh sorry I might have my generations mixed up. So I will have a possible axle I can try it sounds like if I knock the tone ring off if I can't figure out what is causing that metal on metal vibrating/grinding sound I got after replacing the first one. I thought about putting the old axle back in as a test but if that makes it go away I really don't want to have to R&R the thing a third time.