Ultimate Subaru Message Board

this is probably stupid lol but i was wondering bout the open deck blocks....all those open channels....does any fluids pass through those? and if not what if you were to completely fill those in with like jb weld to make a close deck block....would that work?

lmao just a thought and idk what made me think this but it would be funny if someone did this and it worked.

thoughts anyone?

Coolant runs through those passages. Lookup Deck plate or block gaurd - it's common in the Honda community to install a reinfocing bit to hold the cylinders in alignment....

http://www.goldeneaglemfg.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_93&products_id=146

The EJ257 uses a semi-closed deck block that pretty much eliminates the need for further reinforcing.

You can sleeve a 22T up to at least the same bore size as the 257 and get a fully closed deck but they don't flow coolant as well.

GD

thank you :) as you probably know the only reason i want to know this is cuz i plan on turbo-ing my ej22 next summer but want to read up on every possibility before doing so - so i dont blow my nice clean well running engine up lol

i only want 5 psi boost on either a vr11 or td04. ill have to make a wastegate for it ( well not make but buy and modify) small volume turbo with 5 psi.

If you are clever you can modify the wastegate actuator on a VF11 to open at less than 1 psi. Then you can dial in the pressure you want with a boost controller.

4 or 5 psi will be alright for a little while. But it will not last in the long run. You are better off building a frankenmotor - more reliability and about the same power.

GD

Is JB weld as durable as sand cast aluminum?

why not use concrete, that stuff is strong and takes pressure.

errr...

Get a turbo block and be done. reliable.

lots of stock ej22t blocks out there with 300k miles or more on them and still pulling like a freight train.

I am done.

true on the ej22t thought...... even with a ton of miles on them everyone wants a mint for them..... that site is definitly a thought....and gd your probably right.....in fact im 99% sure your right but ive heard of people on other forums who are running up to 13 lbs boost on stock ej22e block with engine managment and bigger injecters/fuel pump, and rising rate fpr.....

ive heard of people on other forums who are running up to 13 lbs boost on stock ej22e block with engine managment and bigger injecters/fuel pump, and rising rate fpr.....

I've heard of people running 13psi on an ea82t too.

It all depends on how long you want it to last...