Ultimate Subaru Message Board

06 Turbo Baha with engine miss

Friend of my wife has an 06 Turbo Baha with 77K miles. She says it has an engine miss. I don't know if engine was throwing a CEL code? An independent shop wants $400 to do a tune up, which wasn't explained what work would be done for that amount of money. I said I would take a look at the Baha this weekend. I am thinking it maybe just needs a set of plugs, and maybe wires.

How difficult is it to install a set of spark plugs in a Baha? I have heard that it is somewhat easier then installing plugs in a gen 1, 2.5 that I have in my 99 OBW. If plugs are needed.........any brand and plug model recommended?

If there is a CEL, I will have the code pulled at a parts store.

Thanks for any advise.

LOL.

You're going to love putting plugs in that 255. They are a PITA. Coil-over plug so you have to contend not only with the plugs themselves but also the coil packs.

I find that a wobbly plug socket (built in wobbly) a 1.5" extension, and a 1.5" "wobbly" extension (solid extension that allows slight wobble) works the best for me. That combination is flexible enough but also ridgid enough to get in and out of the plug wells and be able to twist without the socket combo rolling up like a rope.

You should use the NGK or Denso Iridiums. The turbo engines don't like other brands and you need the iridiums to hopefully last a while before you have to do that horrible job again.

If you see ANY valve cover leaks - especially on the passenger side - just do the valve covers at the same time. It makes doing the plugs a little easier to have the valve covers off.

GD

LOL.

You're going to love putting plugs in that 255. They are a PITA. Coil-over plug so you have to contend not only with the plugs themselves but also the coil packs.

I find that a wobbly plug socket (built in wobbly) a 1.5" extension, and a 1.5" "wobbly" extension (solid extension that allows slight wobble) works the best for me. That combination is flexible enough but also ridgid enough to get in and out of the plug wells and be able to twist without the socket combo rolling up like a rope.

You should use the NGK or Denso Iridiums. The turbo engines don't like other brands and you need the iridiums to hopefully last a while before you have to do that horrible job again.

If you see ANY valve cover leaks - especially on the passenger side - just do the valve covers at the same time. It makes doing the plugs a little easier to have the valve covers off.

GD

It is no wonder that a shop wants $400 to install plugs, from what you described. I was thinking about installing the plugs myself, now I hesitate to enter a PITA arena. Let me guess, I bet the battery, and air intake system, maybe more, have to be removed to gain access space to work, just like on my 99 OBW? It all adds up making plug R & R labor intensive. Still, I will take a look see at what is there, and get codes pulled if there is a CEL...............Thanks GD for your advise

Definitely pull the code first. If you have to pull the plugs, google wrx spark plug change or go to NASIOC.com Yes, you need to pull the battery and air box. Germaine good extensions, deep socket and a swivel. The first time is a PITA but now I can doing in about 25min.

Good luck... $400 is definitely too much.

Definitely pull the code first. If you have to pull the plugs, google wrx spark plug change or go to NASIOC.com Yes, you need to pull the battery and air box. Germaine good extensions, deep socket and a swivel. The first time is a PITA but now I can doing in about 25min.

Good luck... $400 is definitely too much.

Thanks for the advise, I appreciate it.