Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Went to my Subie dealer to buy a small molded coolant hose for 98 OBW with new to it 95, 2.2 motor. The small molded hose is located directly above where the lower rad hose bolts to the bottom of the block. It is less than an inch in diameter, and maybe 4 inches long, and makes nearly a right hand turn in the middle.

Counter guy wanted the VIN from the 95, which is impossible, since I own the engine only. After fumbling around with his computer, and checking some paper work lying around, he identified the part number, only to tell me that he did not have the part in stock, and prolly other dealers in town wouldn't have in stock also. To order, my cost would be $25.

After pleading my story, that I currently have the car up on ramps blocking my driveway, he says he will check for another source. The parts guy disappears back to the repair bays, and returns a few minutes later with the correct hose in hand. He was nice enough to take the hose from a short block lying around. I tried to pay for the hose, but he said "no charge." What a nice guy. He went out of his way to do me a good turn. I will install later today, and hope the hose doesn't leak.

I am reluctant to name the dealer for maybe the parts guy could get into trouble with his boss for doing what he did. Who knows. I suspect there are dealer employees on this forum, who could advise if naming the dealer could present an issue.

Nice to tell a story, where a dealer guy goes out of his way to do a good turn.

That hose should only be about $10-12. Too common of a hose for them to not know how to look it up without a VIN.

Part number: 807615081

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=9358

Good info, thanks! Yep, that is the correct hose, I can easily tell by the picture shown.

Parts guy must be new, or not that sharp. I asked him if the hose for the 2.2 fit the 96-99 2.5 motor. He had to look it up to tell me that it was the same hose. Since the hose was used for so many years, up to at least 2009, I am surprised that the dealer didn't have a couple in stock.

you have to remember that the parts guys, at least most of them, are computer operators and inventory guys. not really parts guys in the way we are. we remove and install parts. we compare and inspect them. we notice that these usually wear out and those usually don't.

this is not usually the case with the parts counter guy.

but it is reassuring that he was willing to help you out.

Every dealer I know of stocks that hose - usually in quantities of more than one. It's often replaced when doing the water pump because they end up oil soaked and bloated from cam seal leaks.

I just refer to is as the water pump by-pass hose and my parts people know exactly what I want. But then my parts guy has been on the job for Subaru for 31 years.

And yeah - I think I pay about $10 for that hose from the dealer. Radiator hoses are about $14. But then I get local shop wholesale rate. Actually I get amazing prices considering it's a dealership. They are often comparable to the prices from any other parts store or sometimes better.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Dealers around here don't have stock of any parts that i have found. they order them all in. no matter what the part is.

don't stock in past:

knock sensors

plug wires

valve cover gaskets

thermostats

brake pads

rear main

etc that is multiple visits and so i crossed them off my list and just order online or ask members here for parts and that is very helpful.

Edited by bheinen74

Wow that blows. Every one of those is gauranteed in stock at my dealer. They carry 4 seperator plates and bolt sets at all times (I've bought all they had a few times). And at least that many rear main's. They have Outback and Forester fog light assemblies and at least 3 of those cheap, reman 95 to 99 alternators..... :-p.

All at basically similar pricing to www.1stsubaruparts.com when you consider shipping into the total cost....

I'm super lucky to live 3 miles from them. Makes my life a lot easier.

Seriously - all dealers don't suck! It's true!

GD

I worked the parts counter and eventually ran the parts dept for about 5 years at a dealership. We used books for just about everything so that should tell you how long ago that was. I knew pretty much every part we had, had a good understanding of what it did and anything I could substitute. I like to think I knew my s%. Anyway, I get parts now and its amazing how things have changed. Dealers stock zero parts! Everything is ordered to keep down costs. God help you in autozone, pep boys etc. I tell them I have a 99 outback and they ask who makes it. A fee years back I asked for a distributor cap and rotor, and the kid brought out s dist. Cap and brake rotor! Even my subaru dealer parts guy is basically clueless. Nowadays they are computer experts not part experts.

Project update.........cold here in Indiana today. Temp in high 30's with 25-30 mph wind blowing/gusting out of the west. Not the day I wanted to install the small water by-pass hose, or whatever it is.

I looked closely at the used freebie hose the counter parts guy gave me from the dealer. The rubber skin where the spring clamp resides was torn a tiny bit, but did not necessarily looked like it would cause a leak. I installed this hose, then thought better of it. It would be my luck that my wife would blow open that hose in the middle of winter in the worst of weather. I decided to do better. Another dealer did not have the hose in stock. So, I went to Auto Zone, I found the manager old (Jim) there, who also works the counter. He knows his stuff, and has been a big help in the past. AZ did not have an exact match, but he took time to search their rack stock, and found a hose that could be cut to do the job. He sold me the hose for under $4, and it fit perfectly. Always better to have a new fresh hose installed vs. old questionable one.

I filled my Subie with antifreeze, burped, and all seems to be well. No drips from under the front of the car after a good 10+ minute drive. This project was exasperating, but getting this hose replaced at a private garage, or dealership, would have more than likely required a 4 day wait for parts, so I am ahead in the game. Gotta think having this job done at a shop would have cost me over $100, more like $125.

Thanks to all for the advise.