Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oh, this is a tough call.

Ok, as you can see from my signature, I currently own 4 vehicles. This is just me and my girlfriend, so.... 2:1 (3:1 if you count our bikes). The Montero is on a loan; not going anywhere. The Ford is necessary, paid for, and costs $12 a month to insure. So that leaves the Subis to question.

Basically, I really like my Loyale. Runs like a top even with 334k miles, straight clean body, great interior, mechanically sound as a watch. Gutless as can be, loud on the road, and not terribly confidence inspiring at 70 in the rain. Mixed feelings on the push button 4wd. However in the 2 months that I've had it, I've put over 2000 miles on it and know the ins and outs of the car; out of necessity. If it were my only option, I'd have no qualms driving it every day in it's boring stock form.

On the other hand, the Legacy is still kind of "in progress" I've put about 200 miles on it, but parked it due to the timing belt looking like Clint Eastwood's mug. It's definitely not in as good of shape as the Loyale in or out, but eventually I can remedy that. It's got nearly 100k less than the Loy on the EJ22 putting down ~185psi on all 4. I like the space, the AWD, and the power of the EJ. I have a lot more room to "grow" in the sense that I am TERRIBLE at leaving anything stock; and am a total stickler for a nice set of rims and about 3" of drop.

The dilemma, if you will. I appraise the cars at about the same value; including the PNW Subi tax. I'd say I could get $1500 for either car at the moment, maybe $1700 if I work it. The Legacy body is REALLY rough and the interior is honestly beyond help, but some college kid would rock the heck out of it for a snow car. The Loyale even with a straight body and clean interior, is still a square gutless wonder; I'd wager some middle aged couple would enjoy it.

I have 4 options as I see it:

1) Keep both cars even though I only need one. Problem being that if I plan on driving both in any given month, I have to pay for insurance for both. Plus I don't make any extra $

2) Keep the Loyale knowing what's in it and been done to it, and sell the Legacy; use the money to pay bills or tools or something.

3) Sell the Loyale after I'm sure the Legacy is in tip top DD shape and use that money to start putting some custom touches on the Legacy (and some towards bills and stuff)

4) Sell both cars and put the money towards an Impreza or newer Legacy.

This posting brought to you by :drunk:

wow I thought the same... (ej the loyale) but then you don't get any cash.

it all boils down to what you need out of it.

if you can't leave anything stock I imagine selling both for an impreza would give you something rewarding to tinker with. lots of after market body exhaust and wing crap to buy.

honestly if I didn't love the unique-ness of the XT so much I would trade up to something faster and more easily tuned. (03 yellow WRX or 01 white/grey 2.5 RS)

do you need money for bills? if you do then absolutely sell a car.

ej the loyale. sell the ea82 engine to someone that needs a quick replacement. It is worth 100 bucks drop in and run.

but if you part off the legacy, then you only have a 200 dollar hulk left over.

MAybe you can sell the lego, and then get the ej parts you need from a donor that would only cost a few hundo, and still have all the parts while taking the remaining $1000 to the bank.

The most Fun option is to EJ the Loyale using the Legacy's EJ engine & Wiring harness + ECU, so you'll have a Great DD with it.

Then, you can make the Weirdest thing: EA the Legacy... :eek: ...to Sell it Running :burnout:

That will be Funny also ... :lol: ...

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
mispelled word

3) Sell the Loyale after I'm sure the Legacy is in tip top DD shape and use that money to start putting some custom touches on the Legacy (and some towards bills and stuff)

If EJing the Loyale is not an option (which is too bad because EJ'd Loyales are badass), then go for option 3. I stage my projects so that I always have at least one solid DD and preferrably two while I am doing major work on another vehicle.

One nice thing about having a thrashed car, such as you describe the Lego, is that your not afraid to do major customizations for fear of screwing up the niceness. However, if it's trashed I would go for a lift rather than lowering. The 98-2001 legos look really nice lowered with tint, but that style only looks good when the car is super straight. With major dents and scratches and a thrashed interior you could put on a small lift, cut the fenders, throw on some bigger high traction tires, and have a fun DD rally beast in short order.

Any customization to older Subarus in the PNW will only help resale value by a matter of hundreds of dollars at best. I know we are all coming from different financial situations, but I wouldn't bother thinking about resale value but rather, what is the vehicle that you want to be driving at the end of the project. Older subies value are in what they can do for you, not what you can sell them for afterward.

wow I thought the same... (ej the loyale) but then you don't get any cash.

it all boils down to what you need out of it.

if you can't leave anything stock I imagine selling both for an impreza would give you something rewarding to tinker with. lots of after market body exhaust and wing crap to buy.

honestly if I didn't love the unique-ness of the XT so much I would trade up to something faster and more easily tuned. (03 yellow WRX or 01 white/grey 2.5 RS)

do you need money for bills? if you do then absolutely sell a car.

I wouldn't be doing all the body kit, rally wing, and bling bling crap to any car. Good suspension, nice 17x7 rims, performance mods on the other hand...

I don't need the money for bills, but it is the holidays and I have a 2 year old, so anything extra wouldn't hurt.

I can see you're not getting the answers you are looking for, but I am really impressed that it didn't even cross your mind to sell either bike. ;)

Bill

The CBR is almost paid off and is pretty used up so I wouldn't get anything worthwhile out of it, and the GS850 is my girlfriend's now so selling it would be about equivalent to castration.

If EJing the Loyale is not an option (which is too bad because EJ'd Loyales are badass), then go for option 3. I stage my projects so that I always have at least one solid DD and preferrably two while I am doing major work on another vehicle.

One nice thing about having a thrashed car, such as you describe the Lego, is that your not afraid to do major customizations for fear of screwing up the niceness. However, if it's trashed I would go for a lift rather than lowering. The 98-2001 legos look really nice lowered with tint, but that style only looks good when the car is super straight. With major dents and scratches and a thrashed interior you could put on a small lift, cut the fenders, throw on some bigger high traction tires, and have a fun DD rally beast in short order.

Any customization to older Subarus in the PNW will only help resale value by a matter of hundreds of dollars at best. I know we are all coming from different financial situations, but I wouldn't bother thinking about resale value but rather, what is the vehicle that you want to be driving at the end of the project. Older subies value are in what they can do for you, not what you can sell them for afterward.

I just can't justify lifting a car. The Montero is lifted on 32s and I really never even use it to it's potential. I guess if I keep the Loyale, I would consider going that route, but I'd hate to build another mall crawler.

I'm well versed in paint and body, which is why straightening out the Legacy and lowering it isn't something I'd have to put a lot of thought into. I'm not planning on putting Tein coils ($1000) and BBS rims ($2000 with rubber) on it or anything outlandish like that. More like 16" WRX rims and S tech drop springs or similar.

As far as resale, something small like wheels and springs, I would take the loss on simply because it's a minimal investment and makes the car more enjoyable. Plus, someone could return it to stock easily if they wanted. But an EJed Loyale is definitely a niche car that I'd lose at least a grand on, and would have to sit on for awhile to find the right buyer.

I guess I'm more looking for which car you would keep, and why. I'm trying to see beyond what's currently in the driveway, and what quirks lay before me with each car. I'm leaning towards keeping the Legacy (Let's face it, I'm 24 and my motorcycle has 20 more hp than the Loy) or selling both and getting something a little newer and more comfy.

EJing the Loyale isn't an option in any spectrum. I'm not going to combine 2 good running cars to make one good running car;

But that's not what you'd get... you'd combine two good running cars to make one GREAT running car! :brow:

I guess I'm more looking for which car you would keep, and why.

I'd keep the Loyale. icon14.gif

Beat up high-mileage Legacies are everywhere, but clean mechanically sound examples of the older cars are getting harder to find. At least out here they are.

Older subies value are in what they can do for you, not what you can sell them for afterward.

This. Is both dangerous and beautiful.

Another way to look at it is to consider both cars and which one is easier to work on. In 10 years. 20.

*Disclaimer: nothing I own is newer than 1990. The parts, however..

well heres how i see it. keep in mind im pretty cut throat when it comes to things.

im in the same boat, too many vehicles. i have to choose between the XT and the OBW, now my outback is nicer and suits everything i need but its just a car, nothing special now my XT on the other hand I LOVE so bottom line outback gets sold and the XT daily driven. if i didnt care about either id sell them both and buy another Toyota 4x4.

they're just cars and there will always be another.

except XT DLs... they're a PITA to find.

i didnt see this mentioned but you say the legacy is trashed why not ej the loyale then scrap the rest of the legacy you could get a good chunk of change out of the scrap value and not to mention selling struts and suspention stuff you wont get 1500 but you will get a bad rump roast loyale and some extra cash in your pocket

Ok, the Legacy isn't "thrashed" by most people's standards...

IMAG0077.jpg

IMAG0078.jpg

I just see about 5 or 6 hours of body work between straightening the dents and filling the wrinkles.

Right now, I'm not going in any direction but keeping them both. After I finish freshening up the Legacy tomorrow, I'll be driving it for a bit to make sure everything is good on it. Then...?

I'm not seeing anything amazing in the $3k realm on CL. Lots of 1st and early 2nd gen Legacies in that realm... nothing worth selling either car to pursue.