Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1979 Brat Exhaust Question

What are people doing about the exhaust on these things? Has anyone had new exhaust fabricated from the motor back? I have a nice exhaust guy here in town that will bend his own stuff.

Has anyone put dual exhaust on their brat?

just starting our rebuild and I know exhaust will be in our future. Plan on mounting a skid plate on the front bumper brush guard.

Thanks, 2 weeks into Brat ownership...and loving it.

I had the luxury of welding up a stock y pipe to make it useable. I was hungover doing this. Ask this guy^^^^^ about it.

you could do a dual exhaust with a x crossover between the engine and trans, as the subframe should have room for it. You may want skinny pipes to not lose torue.

All of the exhaust scavenging functions are in the y pipe itself, so you will want to try and replicate that as best as possible to not lose any performance with the exhaust.

a single straight pipe with the muffler at the end of the y and pipe to the rear should work well.

I would recommend 1-3/4 or 1-7/8 pipe for the header, then 2 inch for the muffler and tailpipe

I found a 79 brat in a yard in Eugene a few yrs ago, that had dual pipes, and the dual intake which of course I snagged. I have not had the time to install them. But the y pipe was cut out its straight pipe from each head to the rear of truck, there are a few supports that bolt up along the journey of the pipe.

I thought it would be cool to run the dual exhaust, with the dual intake, and dual webbers. But I ran out of time and money, And it just may be over kill for the little 1600cc that is in there.