Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'01 Legacy GT Automtic problems ?

Hi ALL!

I just got this '01 Legacy GT a few months ago, its new to me. It has 154 K miles on it. I had to get one with an automatic, ran out of time looking. Anyhow... when you first try to put it into gear, it sort of sits there, then it techs up, and then goes. It only does this when I first use the car, then it's ok. I had my first real cold morning here in MAss a week ago, that situation got worse, it took even longer to go. It has enought ATF fluid, it's clean, doesn't smell, any ideas out there? Will a simply change of fluid and a new spin on filter take care of it ?

Many thanks, SubeeTed

Unfortunately that is the 'slow to engage into drive issue' and it effected quite a number of those early 4EAT Phase II's. It's basically a problem with a seal on one of the drums. A number of people have reported that fresh fluid with the additive TransX has 'fixed' the issue for them. There's a thread about it on here somewhere.

Before it engages into drive, do not press on the throttle. Just let it take its time engaging. Supposedly hitting the throttle too much at that point could snap the input shaft if it engages suddenly.

My 94 legacy does this with 100,000 miles on it. I have read the 'delayed forward engagement' thread regarding this and an internal seal.

If you plan to change the fluid, do the drain and fill procedure 3 times, or have a shop do a flush. I am opting to have a flush doen because i do not want to be under my car 3 times with all that mess.

Thanks all for the replies!

I was toying with the idea of changing all the tranny fluid to Amsoil Synth ATF and adding the Trans X, then I found out that the Subee takes 9.8 US Qt's, that idea died. There $11.50 @ plus shipping. I looked at the link for the Trans x here, I see people have found succes with just adding the Trans X. That's what I'm gonna do. I've got a simple and silly question to ask..... how do I pull the Qt of tranny fluid out of the tranny in order to add the Trans X ? Simply pull the drain plug and guess to about a qt. ?

Thanks ALL, SubeeTed

Edited by SubeeTed