Ultimate Subaru Message Board

81 hatch + EJ22& DR5spd

Uberoo

My new offroad car started life as a 1981 subaru Hatch.With a EA71 and FWD.It will end up powered by a phase one EJ22 and backed by a DR 5SPD.Power will then go to a divorced nissan transfer case.the Diffs are 4.11's and it will be turning 31 10.50x15 mud tires.It seems there are some differences between a car that came with a top mount starter EA71 and most of the EA81's.For starters the clutch cable is WAY to short to even reach the DR 5 speed.

So I need to make the two hour journey up to pull and save to get a different clutch cable and a EJ22 throttle linkage because I was careless when I put the engine in place and broke a section of the linkage so now I don't have throttle.

other than getting the linkage pieces and a longer clutch cable do I need anything else to put a EJ22 and DR 5 speed into a originally FWD EA71 81 hatch?

will the clutch cable from a say a 84 EA81 be compatible with the pedals in the 81?Will the throttle cable be long enough/have enough travel to work with the EJ22?

the engine and transmission are at stock height relative to the body.

That's basically the combo my hatch has - but with the EA81. Don't bother with the 5 speed D/R - the extension housing gears are not burly enough to handle all the driving needs nor will they hold up to the EJ22's power. Mine is on it's second transmission because of that problem. Just go straight to the toyota transmission conversion and use the toyota transfer case as well.

GD

i might look into toyota stuff eventually,but right now its set up for subie stuff.my 5 Speed is still going strong so far.I had the setup with a SPFI EA81 for a while and worked pretty good,just everytime I went out I broke a rear axle.Fixed that issue hopefully with legacy DOJ's.

Weak point will still be the transfer gears - they aren't designed to hold that much torque. That's pulling 3k lbs of vehicle along with about a 2.5" diameter gearset that has 3/4" wide teeth. Inadequate. Also not geared for that size tire - so you pretty much end up in low range all the time - making the D/R a redundant addition. A Toyota truck transmission has much more favorable high range gearing and you can get inexpensive transfer case gears in any ratio you could ever want.

Sammie case has the benefit of a reduction in high range but is still not going to help much with the extension housing gear problem.

GD

My rig is an EA81 wagon (84) , with a EJ18 and a 5spd D/R. I've had no problems yet. I use high range in town and on freeway. drives great. I think a hatch, with an EJ22, and a nissan t-case, you will be lovin it.

If you are concerned, just weld up the transfer on the D/R (locked in 4W), but leave the Hi/Lo linkage.

As a comparisson, lots of Legacies in NZ and AU had single range push button 4wd trans...... same transfer gears, in a heavier car, with EJ power..........Just sayin..........

• 1 month later...

If you are concerned, just weld up the transfer on the D/R (locked in 4W), but leave the Hi/Lo linkage.

How would I do that?I havent had one of those boxes apart so I am not familiar with how they are set up.

Edited by Uberoo