Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'95 Legacy leaking oil & coolant

Best of Luck! - We're all rootin for ya!!!

Anyone know- What years/models (if any) really need that Subaru coolant conditioner additive??? VS. straight up "green antifreeze"/water?

as far as I know Kara, your H6 doesnt need the stuff - it is primarily for the EJ25's that were susceptible to the HG issues? perhaps someone else can clarify that one tho...

doromb

list looks good - and yes - do the water pump if it hasnt been done recently. why take the chance on an old one going out when you are already in there and it isnt that hard to change? do it all and be done with it for a while.

my personal opinion - go with the premixed 50/50 coolant, it is already mixed properly with distilled water and is a simple, pour it in job - no muss, no fuss. (do NOT use tap water in your cooling system - the chemicals/minerals in tap water are detrimental to the system)

oil pump - do what has already been suggested. reseal, threadlock and tighten the backing plate screws, and put it back on.

and all of this work can be done with the engine still in the car - might pull the electric fans out to give yourself a little extra space to work in, but thats about it. (4 - 10mm bolts - 2 top, 2 bottom - and an electrical plug connection each)

hardest part of the job is resetting the tensioner - slow compression with a vice - and making sure the proper marks are lined up on the sprockets - plenty of info on this site about doing the job right the first time. search is your friend :D

good luck, and let us know how it goes!

• 6 months later...

A long-due update:

I decided to wait until it warmed up to do this repair, so I parked the car and biked everywhere until spring. That certainly gave me motivation to get my car back in operating condition!

I pulled together parts for a very reasonable sum (thanks ShawnW) and did the whole job in a (long) day: new water pump, reseal oil pump, new timing-belt, new cam and crank seals, new plugs, new valve cover gaskets. I couldn't have done it without all the support and advice on this board--thank you all so much.

2 months after the repair, my Subaru is running great: no sign of new oil leaks, no coolant problems. I guess the moral of the story is "just because a shop claims your head gasket is leaking doesn't make it so".

This is great news!

The front oil seal was my first major job on my Legacy. A lot to dismantle to get to the crank seal, but in the end was worth it. Also found the crank half-moon key was damaged and I caught it before the crankshaft keyway got completely mangled.

I hope this experience give you confidence to keep the car running for many more miles to come. :)

Yep, success with this job has given me a big confidence boost. Now I'm looking at replacing my dead transfer clutch/Duty C solenoid and dying viscous coupling, so I get to learn about a whole new part of the car!