Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4WD in 81 brat

Okay i have a gl 81 brat with the d/r 4wd and it won't come out of 4wd i've had this issue once before and i was able to dink with the linkage and got it unstuck but even after a couple hours it still won't disengage it drives fine at any sdeed even up to 70 mph but when you take semi sharp corner it binds up and hops a lot and it gets worse the sharper you go. Is the tranny fried (if im not wrong the transfer case is part of the tranny) or is it a simple fix? plz help:(:banghead:

Youre experiencing the binding from being in 4WD on a dry surface... obviously if youre going up to 70 and taking a corner, youve either got a lot of... err guts... or youre on dry pavement and probably frying a transmission.

The 4speed d/r is a pretty fragile transmission, a lot of people opt for the 5 Speed d/r swap.

Get the car in a straight line, maybe down a block or something and drive it straight forward... try to push the lever down. Try it in reverse as well if going forward doesnt work...

You might have to go find some dirt/mud or someones yard :brow: for legal purposes, make it your own yard and drive it around, then drive it straight and try to disengage it... you might need to put some great force into it eventually, and if you fry the transmission... the 5 speed is a lot stronger ;) you should get one and swap it in :D

I had this happen when I first owned my car with the 5 speed... a buddy of mine wanted to see if his EA82T was quicker than my EA82 off the line and so I decided to put it in 4Lo to get a quicker launch, but forgot that I had it in 4WD and turned a corner and bound it up and couldnt get it into 4HI to continue at normal speed and couldnt get it to disengage, I had to clutch in and slam the shifter down, got it to go disengage, felt a thump from the rear but I was in 2WD again, but thought Id broken something.. checked the road, no broken parts, and went offroading and 4WD was working just fine... so Im good but still scary stuff :o

well i well try slamming the lever down while in a straight line but idk what it issue is..mean i know all about binding and stuff mean i grwe up in the woods around big trucks and lil cars that had fwd from some other vehicle..but ill try this and hope it's an easy fix seeing how i have very lil money to get a new tranny...and i've been wanting to do the 5 speed swap ever since i got it seeing how at 60 im doing 3 grand

Yea, with my 5 speed d/r at 3K Im at I think 65-70 maybe 70 at 3K and 75 at 3500...

*Thinks* Damn city driving, I barely see 60 anymore...

TIME FOR A ROAD TRIP! :clap::burnout:

ya i know how u feel i average 45 to 50 5 days a week....i finally got bord and hit the back roads where i live and hit 70 and then i found a gravel road and got some drifting in my brat done...danm body roll scares me though i thought i was gonna roll a couple times:drunk:

Have you gone out and tried to disengage the 4WD again?

Its raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock (is that the expression) here in Oregon... perfect for some 4WD...

I might go out to grimms fuel and mob around in the mud soon ;D

PS. That is pretty cool. Now if he builts an outback lego car around it... id love it more haha

ya i got my 4WD working right again i found a gravel road drove down it for a couple miles got it into fwd then i had to put it back into 4wd cuz of a really step hill that was really lose gravel so it popped back in 4WD no prob and when i got to the top it went right back into fwd...and i almost got blown off the road cuz of hard it was blowing combined with the heavy rump roast rain :drunk:

Sounds like the 4wheel drive engagement is working like it is supposed to.

You do know you are not supposed to engage or disengage while the vehicle is not in motion?

Nothing to fix, just read the manual.

Please make sure you know the procedure or we will have this all over again shortly.

Doubtful anything is wrong at all, with the transmission.

well it doesnt help that the guy i bought it from is a wing nut and put a lever that does the 4WD instead of a shifter so that just makes things more annoying...he put a steel plate over the hole where the shifter would be thinking we weould nvr notice :banghead:

sorry for the typos