Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4WD in 81 brat

these where taken with an android phone to so they may not be the best of quality but it shows what he did and where he covered up the hole where the shifter should be and how he changed it

Like you said it is a little difficult to tell whats going on there from the photos, but it looks to me like an automatic to manual transmission conversion or FWD to 4WD conversion. I have honestly never heard of a FWD Brat, so I'll go with auto to manual.

Edited by ferox

Most likely the original gearbox (which in a '81 would have been dual range) 'gave up the ghost' and was replaced with a later 4 speed dual range transmission.

EA81 engined Gen 1 Brats/Brumbys were only produced for around 12 months so the gearbox is not exactly plentiful... (The front half of this gearbox is the same as all EA81 4 speed dual range transmissions but the rear is like the old EA71 single range - this was done to keep the original 'twin' shifter arrangement for the old Brat/Brumby body)

Perhaps the lever just needs adjusting? You can adjust the shifter rod on the original gearbox quite easily so I assume you can on the later lever type too.

the lever you see in the pics is total crap cuz if i tighten the mounting bolts so theres no slop then you can't engage or disengage 4WD he drilled through the tunnel to mount that set up so it's total crap..and my step dad thinks he swapped a different tranny in too so idk..but i really wanna do the 5speed d/r upgrade so bad :burnout:

okay so what 5speed d/r tranny would be the best for my 81 brat like what year and what engine is it off ect.

'85-'89 EA82 engine...the boxy looking wagons and sedans. Later versions of that car had a single range 5MT. I believe '88-'89 would be easiest.

Jerry aka Bratsrus1 sells a kit to make the swap easier in case someone didn't already mention it, at least I hope he still makes them.