Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey peoples, the fan stopped working on my 91 legacy. I already replaced the heater resistor and I can hear the motor changing between stations inside when I press the buttons from bilevel and vent etc.... so I dont think that it is the switch. All of the fuses are good and I switched all of the solenoids around to see if it was blown. I did get the heater resistor from a junkyard I am still kind of thinking the "new, old" resistor is bad but I was hoping not to spend $45ish on a brand new one and have it be something else. Any testing suggestions? Anything I am missing?

Thanks

Loc.....

Hm......does it work on the highest setting? Usually that applies 12V to it without any resistors in the circuit. Next thing I would try is applying power directly to the blower motor to make sure it is actually working. Sometimes what happens is a bunch of leaves, pine needles, and other junk gets down in there and blocks the blower.

I have a small 12v battery that I am going to jump the motor and see if there is any thing there I will drop the motor and make sure there isnt any scheezy in there. Also in my reading I believe that the high setting does still run through the resistor just un restricted but I may be wrong. Thanks for the input keep it coming please.

Loc

Hm......does it work on the highest setting? Usually that applies 12V to it without any resistors in the circuit. Next thing I would try is applying power directly to the blower motor to make sure it is actually working. Sometimes what happens is a bunch of leaves, pine needles, and other junk gets down in there and blocks the blower.

I had fan stop working when I had a 91 Leggie. Remove the glove box, then remove the fan motor. Not a difficult job. I found my fan clogged with leaves and crap. I cleaned up the mess, and fan ran perfectly afterwards.

Checking the motor out by tying 12 volts directly to it is a good thing to do. Also make sure power is getting to the motor by checking the voltage on each of the motor leads with reference to ground. If there is 12 volts on both leads it means there is a problem on the ground side of the circuit which ties to the resistor and the speed switch. If there is no voltage getting to the motor then there is a problem with the fuse, blower relay, or the wiring to the motor.

Edited by Cougar

I'm in the same boat right now. I want to try changing out the relay first, just to get the hardest one out of the way first. Does anyone have any tips on how to more easily access the blower relay on a '95 Legacy? I don't want to have to take everything apart like I did when I got the new relay at the junkyard...