Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Legacy AT Temp Always flashing

My son has a 99 Legacy Outback. He picked it up not runing, redid the HG and put the engine in. The AT Temp light flashes continously.

With the trans in park, the engine revs fine.

With the Trans in any forward gear about 2000 RPM is as much as you can get, 10 MPH or so.

With the Trans in Reverse, the engine will rev higher and you can gain some speed.

He tried getting the codes out by jumping the black connector, but he only got the ABS codes.

Is there a difference in the procedures for a 99 vs an older Trans?

The diagnostic plug has different pins.

Hm....the 4EAT phase I's, which I think that would have though in 99 I think some models maybe the Forester did get the phase II (w/external spin on filter), yes I think those did have a relatively weird procedure for getting the codes. I believe it involved jumpers, but also being in a certain gear or shifting pattern and possibly even the brake pedal to get it to cough up the codes. There's a good post on here about the procedure somewhere but I've never had to do it so I didn't bookmark it.

My son has a 99 Legacy Outback. He picked it up not runing, redid the HG and put the engine in. The AT Temp light flashes continously.

With the trans in park, the engine revs fine.

With the Trans in any forward gear about 2000 RPM is as much as you can get, 10 MPH or so.

With the Trans in Reverse, the engine will rev higher and you can gain some speed.

He tried getting the codes out by jumping the black connector, but he only got the ABS codes.

Is there a difference in the procedures for a 99 vs an older Trans?

The diagnostic plug has different pins.

There is a search function folks, it does magic!

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=119634&highlight=transmission+codes

If you got abs codes, you had the wrong connector.

Nice picture of the plug. I pulled that down for him last weekend and showed him the ground pins. I was picking up an Impreza for a friend and hit the road. I should have stayed a little longer. He'll figure it out.

Hope its an easy fix. If not, I have a good auto trans ready to go in.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

I was up to fix a furnace problem so I took a few minutes to look at the Subaru.

The connector to pull the Trans codes has 4 terminals:

1 I I 2

4 X X 6

The #6 Terminal when grounded shows the ABS Codes, this is the one that is called out for pulling the Trans codes.

I tried each Terminal 1, 2, 4, 6, and no of them pulled the Trans Codes.

I might be because the TCU is continously flashing, very fast. I've not found what continous flashing means. Anyone know?

It's not the 16 flashes after start, it just keeps on flashing.

Thanks Larry

What it should do is come on as a check, go off, then start flashing if you have a hard instant failure.

YOu are in limp mode, so this is much more then a stuck solenoid or failed sensor of some kind.

i can send you the OEM diagnbostic procedures, which also includes non-trouble code methods of trouble shooting.

It sounds like to me the transmission is blind. It can not sense engine Rpm, road speed and or load. Those three are critical to safe shifting. Third gear is a limp mode, and is a default that has been around since the dawn of slush boxes.

Check all your harnesses and plugs.

• 1 month later...

Solved.

I went up to the son's house with a 96 trans. It had different plugs and a external speed sensor. So much for the free swap.

As we looked at the old trans, the pan was dented in pretty good. The fluid that was drained was pretty clean so we dropped the pan. I had had one other Subaru that the trans did not work after someone put on the wrong filter and it was starved for fluid.

Once the pad was dropped and cleaned we could see the outline of the screen filter where it hit the pan. We also found a broken solenoid connector, the front one on the aft drivers side.

A 100 mile round trip to the You Pull and Pay provided a used solenoid on a Sunday. We put it all back togther and it shifts great.

No more Flashing AT Temp Light!

Thanks for the feedback