Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I made a rookie mistake and didn't check the oil (didn't see any leaks or lights), and I was five miles short of my destination this weekend when my check engine light came on, engine lost power, started rattling, and the oil light started flashing. I was in the left lane on I-5 and no one would let me over, so I probably went a mile before I could pull over.

I am pretty sure I threw a rod, so my questions are: about how much will this cost if I just have to replace the rod(s)? If I have to replace the engine? What are the odds of having to replace the engine? How long does a repair like this usually take?

Finally, how big of an a$$ am I for not checking the stupid oil? (Answer: HUGE).

Thanks

Car: 2003 Baja, 78k, just made first payment (ouch)

I am pretty sure it was as is. I would have to check my paperwork, but I don't recall any warranty.

That being said, I may actually just fall outside of it. I believe I bought it on september 22, which would put me a few days past it. So I am probably on my own here regardless.

[QUTE=Boneyard;1060470]I made a rookie mistake and didn't check the oil (didn't see any leaks or lights), and I was five miles short of my destination this weekend when my check engine light came on, engine lost power, started rattling, and the oil light started flashing. I was in the left lane on I-5 and no one would let me over, so I probably went a mile before I could pull over.

I am pretty sure I threw a rod, so my questions are: about how much will this cost if I just have to replace the rod(s)? If I have to replace the engine? What are the odds of having to replace the engine? How long does a repair like this usually take?

Finally, how big of an a$$ am I for not checking the stupid oil? (Answer: HUGE).

Thanks

Car: 2003 Baja, 78k, just made first payment (ouch)

Sounds like the engine is toast, sorry to say. Subarus don't usually use oil and I bet something was wrong. It might be worth try to plead the case with your dealer. A rebuilt engine may be your best bet, 3K or so for a solid unit, depending on where you go of course. After you or your mechanic get the engine one day should easily cover an install. Your bank might also help u with additional money on top of your loan. Been there myself good luck to you.

I just watched a video of an ' almost' thrown rod, and that was more of the sound I heard, so if that is the case, is it possible that the engine is still ok, and they will just have to rebuild the cylinders? Assuming of course the parts didn't jank it up too much.

I just watched a video of an ' almost' thrown rod, and that was more of the sound I heard, so if that is the case, is it possible that the engine is still ok, and they will just have to rebuild the cylinders? Assuming of course the parts didn't jank it up too much.

I went down that road with mine and it was four thousand dollars; Looking back it would have been faster and with less headaches to do the swap, and also, would have been a little less expensive.

Depends on the rebuilt motor.

If it was torn COMPLETELY apart and everything was replaced. If someone used synthetic oil and had regular oil changes and used the right seals/gaskets etc... an engine like this would be ideal and would be 200% better than your current motor, even if it has 150k and yours has 78k.

Maintenance records are your friend when looking for another motor... But I think in all reality... you need a motor. A sound like that, that kills the motor while youre driving is really not something you want to take shortcuts with.

Perhaps search http://www.car-part.com for a low mileage used engine or try one of the JDM engine sellers in the area.

was waiting to hear that it was a rod, which is a short block at least. Crazy eights has it right for sourcing of used engines. Further add that since its Seattle, close port, whole bunch of JDM suppliers and installers are avail as per Craigs List your area. Doesn't sound like you are set up to R&R an eng

Someone can correct me if I am not understanding JDM and compatibilty w/ Baja . Usual consumer rules apply to finding rep shop via references ,cost comparisions, looks fairly inexpensive that route. Good luck, do the homework before investing in parts , labor,

The car is in vancouv

er wa right now, not seattle. I left it at a shop last night, I won't get the skinny until tomorrow (maybe), but it is sounding grim. I am not a mechanic enough to do a rebuild, nor do I have the facilities, here or in seattle. I am afraid I just have to educate myself and then leave this up to the pros.

Subarus use oil and whoever gave you the claim they didn't, is lying.

I work on these for a living. I just recently did a rebuilt shortblock in a 2003 Forester that the same thing happened. 3 years ago this customer ran it out of oil and the shop I work for put a low mileage engine in it with new headgaskets and all the other needed work. Then just last month he went 2500 miles over his oil change and the #1 rod bearing started knocking. Cost $4500 for a rebuilt shortblock with labor.

Don't forget to check your oil and do regular 3k mile oil changes.

This is the problem with long engine oil change intervals. SUbaru (and actually most) say 1qt in 3000 miles is ok. Not all engines use this much, some use a bit more. With a 7500 mile oil change, some people never open thier hoods. Going 2500 over it is most likely he had no oil volume of any substance left.

Modern engines use oil. They spray the back of the piston skirts and the underneath of the pistons with oil to help cool them down. Depending upon fuel driving habits and moon phase some use more some use less.

This is why you really need to pop your hood every other tank of gas and check your oil levels.

I was at a auction inspecting a Baja that I might have put some bids on, until i popped the hood, pulled out the oil dipstick, hardly any oil was registering, and what was there was black. Then i looked at the oil change sticker on the corner of the windshield, said oil change due at miles 113k. Looked at odo, it showed 118k. So they drove it 5k past the oil change.....and ran it low on oil too.

I walked away from the car. Besides the body work needed, it would be needing a new 2500 $ engine shortly.

It is not hard to find good ones out there, with good maintenance records. If no records are there, run, fastly.

But, on this one, a simple check of the oil at a gas fillup would have been very wise for the bank account.

Modern engines use oil. They spray the back of the piston skirts and the underneath of the pistons with oil to help cool them down. Depending upon fuel driving habits and moon phase some use more some use less.

This is why you really need to pop your hood every other tank of gas and check your oil levels.

What?!