Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I bought my first Subaru just a week ago. It's an '04 Forester non-turbo. The tires that have maybe 35,000 miles left on them are Michelin Hydro Edge P215/60 R16's.

Today, while parking at a relatives house for Turkey Day I ran over a sharp obstacle and holed the sidewall on one tire. It has to be replaced as the spare does not match the tires on the ground (size is the same).

The previous owner told me that Subaru's need to have a matched set of tires and approx. the same wear on all 4 tires. Since there was no problem I didn't question his statement. Now, I can't buy a used tire to match the other three and a new one will obviously have more tread than the three on the ground. so, my questions are......

1. Should I replace only one tire?

2. Should I replace two tires and place them on the same axle?

3. Is there any merit to the previous owner's statement about all 4 tires

need to have approx. the same wear?

Thanks for your help. KIX

over the last 3 years, i have managed to do pretty well on a few used tires on Ebay, locating the exact same brand, make, model, size tires, and going by the pics and tread depth listed to match up.

I got my brother a good year RS-A eagle or whatever he needed for his 02WRX.

I got myself a used hankook ventis for one that I had run on my red94SS when it had a bad alignment and had worn one down. The one i got on Ebay turned out a perfect match to the other 3 tread patterns and wear.I was then able to install on my other 94SS which Mick now has.

It takes some time. But I have bookmarked a few good sellers that i have gotten good tires from, usually the tires run between 24-50 shipped.

That is much cheaper and smarter than buying 4 new ones.

Be patient, it helps to have a a few crappy backup cars while waiting on finding a good one.

over the last 3 years, i have managed to do pretty well on a few used tires on Ebay, locating the exact same brand, make, model, size tires, and going by the pics and tread depth listed to match up.

Thanks for the info and the suggestion about Ebay.

Can you help more spedifically with my questions?

Thanks KIX

In the owners manual it will show the allowed difference in tires, which is not much.

You take a string and measure around the tires curcumference of the center tread block to determine how close they are. The acceptable limit needs looked up in your book, but memory says it allows 1/8/ or 1/16th inch difference in circumference, measured around the center of the tire.

It is a critical thing to make sure you are within spec, or expensive damage to the tranmssion may occur due to wear of them being off sized. (actually damage WILL occur, so my may is not to be taken lightly)

Edited by bheinen74

If you enjoy not paying for expensive transmission repairs (transfer clutch and drum on auto's and viscous coupler's on manual's) then you need to buy 4 new tires or find the exact same brand and within about 1/16" tire wear to replace just the one. Easier to just get a new set and call it good insurance. If you destroy the transfer clutch or viscous coupler you are looking at $1000 to $1500 repair. I buy broken Subaru's all the time and rebuild/repair them and I know the costs and part pricing very well as well as what damage can be done and how invasive it is to fix. I rebuild transmissions when needed - the parts alone run about $500.

GD

All 4 of the current tires, including the one with the hole in the sidewall were new in July 2009 with 93,000 miles on the odometer. Currently the odometer is 115,000. So, about 22,000 miles on tires that have a 90,000 wear warranty. When new the tires had 11/32 tread depth. The holed tire and the 3 others on the ground all have between 9 and 10/32 remaining tread. With this additional knowledge can you advise if I should just replace the holed tire, two tires (on the same axle) or replace all 4 tires. Thanks KIX

You are better off replacing one tire than to replace two tires. The reason is because of the difference in axle rotation speed.

Honestly with only 1 or 2/32" wear it's fine to buy a brand new tire to replace the damaged one.

Subaru recommends no more than a 0.25" difference in overall circumference of the tires.

With an original diameter of approximately 26", that gives you a circumference of ~81.64"

Take off 2/32 of an inch of thread depth that makes a 1/8" difference in diameter which equates to an 81.44" circumference.

Your 3 worn tires are within the maximum difference which would be ~81.39".

Yes I agree - you could get away with a new tire in this case. But it MUST be the same brand, model, size, and factory of origin. Different brands will be different outside diameter even if they are marked the same size. Manufacturing differences between factories can lead to a tire having the same markings (brand/model/size) and still be different enough to cause a problem.

GD

CORRECTION::: The numbers I posted before are for a 1/32" tread wear, or 1/16" in difference in diameter.

I probably shouldn't try to do math at 1:30 AM. :-p

Still, I think you would be safe to use a new tire. Put it on the front with the old tire with the LOWEST tread depth and this will help balance out the difference in axle speeds between front and rear.

Thanks for your help guys. What you advised about .25" maximum circumference difference being about 4/32 is right in line with what I was told at the tire shop. Since my 3 good tires are only worn less than 3/32 we elected to replace just one tire.

Just as a side note........The previous owner replaced all the tires in July 2009 and bought a road hazard warranty form Discount Tire in TX. I took the bad tire & rim to Discount Tire in Jacksonville, FL along with the receipt given to the previous owner when he bought the warranty. They honored the warranty without question and mounted a new Michelin. Hooray for Discount Tire......a potentially $200+ problem was solved for $22 including balancing and another road hazard warrenty.