Ultimate Subaru Message Board

E78-14 STA Super Traxion

Idasho

I have a little personal experience with them, there was some on an old (stock, flathead) willys jeep I used to drive off road where I used to live in east Battle Ground. They were actually pretty good in the mud, I would probably get a hot knife and put some more grooves in them to help with the cleanout/lugs toward the center of the tread. Also, I believe they are pretty hard durometer and would last a loooong time on a light vehicle like the soobs.....

Spencer

Edited by obk25xt

That's what I would assume too.

And potentially what Im looking for. Im looking for a dedicated tough-as-nails off road tire for backpacking season. We are always looking to get further and further into the back-country, and every additional mile you can drive before setting out on foot helps.

Hard rubber + 6ply means a very rough ride though. Large side lugs means noise, but et least the center portion of the tread is highway friendly.

Looks like they could be just the thing.

BFG also makes the All Terrain KO in 195/75/14 again. They measure out just a hair over 26".

But the price is an issue with the BFG's (but not much more than those). I just got a set of the BFG's recently, and today out at TSF they did surprisingly well in the greasy, nasty goo that was coating every trail out there. Not perfect at any one thing, but pretty dang good at all of it. :)

Yeah, the swampers are the way to go for all out off road. And they have a 14" size that measures just over 27". http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=10&g=1

Since my Soob became my only vehicle and I don't wheel it as hard as I used to (I mainly just do multi day backroads camping trips now, but it gets a beating here and there still) I wanted highway manners and long life. For all round use the BFG's have proven themselves for decades.

Well its a good thing I dont need then for mud. Im looking for a no BS tire that will put up with abuse, without the worry of putting something through a sidewall more than 200 miles from anything. Traction in deep mud, though is great, takes a back seat.

I cannot stand Swampers. Especially for this app.

I do have to use the highway to get to the trail. And that typically means 3-4 hours of highway. Then another 30+ miles of trail to proposed trail head. By the time I get to the trail (using swampers) Id be completely deaf, and my body would be numb from the ride.:D

Looks like they could be just the thing.

BFG also makes the All Terrain KO in 195/75/14 again. They measure out just a hair over 26".

But the price is an issue with the BFG's (but not much more than those). I just got a set of the BFG's recently, and today out at TSF they did surprisingly well in the greasy, nasty goo that was coating every trail out there. Not perfect at any one thing, but pretty dang good at all of it. :)

Ive been looking at them too.

Ive had the BFGs on a few pickups, and while the road manners, and grip on dry trails was great, they load up too quick. Not to mention, Ive yet to have a BFG A/T to wear correctly. The tread compound is quite soft.

huh. I've known people that have run nothing but the BFG's for the past 30 years (I wheel mainly with guys twice my age that have been wheeling since the flat fenders were new......). And always loved the wear on them. Yeah not so great in mud. But I tend to stay out of it for the most part as well.

Dont worry, Im keeping my eye on them.

Unfortunately as we all know, the 14" off road tire is a dying breed. So Im thinking long term here, and I see the STA's lasting much longer than the BFG. Ive yet to get more than 50k miles out of my BFG A/Ts on pickups. They are a truck tire.... they should last way longer than that. but in todays market people want trucks that ride like cars....

I remember when tires dry-rotted before the tread wore out:popcorn:

80k + miles was not uncommon for a set of tires.

If I find some reason to NOT go with these STA's, Ill jump on the BFGs

Interesting enough though.... the site I linked to for the STA's has FREE shipping right now.

Too bad Im not quite ready yet. Thats a $100+ savings. :Flame:

Have you looked at a Cooper STT? I have them on my Jeep and they are the best all around tire I've encountered. They're like an aggressive A/T. They have reinfored sidewalls, don't cake up in mud and they wear evenly and slowly. They do great on snow and ice(when sipped) and grip rocks and gravel with ease. Basicly they go anywhere an A/T will, but they will take you further with less problems. They're road manners are great too, they don't howl like most M/T's and don't get squirrelly in the rain. Theres lots of off brands available too of this tire. I know les schwab's Dean SXT Mud Terrain was a cooper STT for a while, and Avon also sold Cooper tires with they're name on them. Pepboys generic brand is made by Cooper too. The generic variety's sometimes don't have the reinforced sidewalls or side lugs and the tread pattern can be slightly different too.

I think BFG A/T's are great onroad tires, because they grip pavement like no other and, in my experience, they wear very slowly, but offroad, I've been disappointed with BFG A/T's and will never run them again on anything that sees real dirt. I run BFG M/T KM's on Lightfoot and I'm happy with them, they howl but thats a small price for the traction I get.

If your going 200 miles out in the bush, you should have a spare. Airing your tires will help prevent side wall damage, but if you want a strong side wall, its not going to be on most A/T's.

I don't know if they make it in a 14"...Why don't you upgrade to a six lug so you can run 15" wheels? All it does is give you more options..

If your planning on being 200mi out in the bush and do need a tire or wheel, a 15" six lug or 15" tire is MUCH more common than a 14" 4 lug 140mm wheel or tire. I got my extra set of toyota six lugs for $40 on craigslist with a good set of A/T's already on them.

I don't know if they make it in a 14"...Why don't you upgrade to a six lug so you can run 15" wheels? All it does is give you more options..

If your planning on being 200mi out in the bush and do need a tire or wheel, a 15" six lug or 15" tire is MUCH more common than a 14" 4 lug 140mm wheel or tire. I got my extra set of toyota six lugs for $40 on craigslist with a good set of A/T's already on them.

At this point I am not willing to go that large with the tires. Im looking for something that will fit without any major surgery. So the tire needs be 27" or less.

Ive also got 2 other sets of tires that I dont want to NOT use. So a 6-lug swap is out of the question.

Ive already got a set of 14" steel 6-lug wheels that will be re-drilled to fit the 4 bolt pattern. Though considering the options, stepping up to a 15" wheel might be better. I still need to keep the overall diameter down though.

The wheel size doesn't have anything to do with the overall diameter, like I said all it does is give you options. The problem I have with drilled wheels on rigs that go into the bush is if you need another wheel far from home, an unmodified 6x5.5 is alot easier to find in a 15" than one modified to fit a 4x140mm.

Tire sizes:

185/70/R13..........23"

185/60/R15..........23 1/2"

205/75/R15..........27"

Theres way more sizes and types of tire available in 15" than 13"

The wheel size doesn't have anything to do with the overall diameter, like I said all it does is give you options.

Wheel size most certainly effects overall diameter when it comes to tire availability.

The limiting factor is still overall diameter.

Stepping up to a 15" wheel from a 14" wheel certainly give you more LT tire choices, but the choices for an nice M/T or aggressive A/T is still VERY limited when you must keep the tire size at or less than 27"

Actually, after doing some quick checking online, Ive yet to find one that would fit the bill. 15" wheel, mud terrain, and 27" or less in overall diameter.

The problem I have with drilled wheels on rigs that go into the bush is if you need another wheel far from home, an unmodified 6x5.5 is alot easier to find in a 15" than one modified to fit a 4x140mm.

So how often have you personally needed more than 1 spare? ;)

Wheel size most certainly effects overall diameter when it comes to tire availability.

The limiting factor is still overall diameter.

Stepping up to a 15" wheel from a 14" wheel certainly give you more LT tire choices, but the choices for an nice M/T or aggressive A/T is still VERY limited when you must keep the tire size at or less than 27"

Actually, after doing some quick checking online, Ive yet to find one that would fit the bill. 15" wheel, mud terrain, and 27" or less in overall diameter.

Yeah, you got me, I did some searching too and there isn't a wide variety of Offroad tires in a 205/xx/R15..I thought I remember seeing a couple tires good m/t's that go that low..guess I was wrong.

What about Interco's SSR? Its advertised as a onroad/ offroad tire, quiet stable ride, but the benefits of a swamper. Its available in 27" too

So how often have you personally needed more than 1 spare? ;)

Myself? I almost needed two spares on the last wheeling trip. I had a chunk of rock in my driver rear and dirt/sand in the bead of my passenger front, both were leaking air and flat in a few hours after I got home. If your going 200mi out in the bush its stupid not to consider you might need parts and supplies along the way. Also at 200mi out, you also have to consider it could take as much as two to three days(possibly more) to cover that distance, depending on terrain, weather and vehicle condition.

ive used a unmodified 6lug to get home once or twice.I didn't go very fast and the tire was on the rear but it was better than walking...

I normally only have one spare tire with me so when it does get called into play I usually start heading home.Or park the rig and finish the trip with someone else...

but then again where I play isn't that far from my house.Its nice when the woods are 17 miles from your house...

at 200 miles out from anywhere I probally would bring 2 spare tires,and a handfull of spare parts.Not to mention some water both for you and the car,some gas,and enough tools to fix most of what might break..don't for get food while your at it...

Im 30+ miles off the pavement. Not 200+

Thats a huge difference. And if you are destroying more than a couple of tires each time you go out, then you really need to find a different tire. Which is why I started this thread in the first place.

The tires I linked to are REAL tires. Not passenger car tires pretending to be off road tires, like so many of todays tires are.

While the SSR might be a great tire for some, all Im seeing are the downsides... Mainly the size. The STA is much skinnier. Huge benefit for a Subaru with limited wheel well space as it is.

but just for giggles, lets compare...

E78-14LT STA:

Overall diameter: 26.6

Rim width: 5.5

Section width: 7.6

Weight: 28 lbs

Load rating: 1710

tread depth: 16/32

Ply rating: 8

And compared to the SSR

Overall diameter: 27.5

Rim width: 6.5

Section width: 9.5

Weight: 37 lbs

Load rating: 1585

tread depth: 19/32

Ply rating: 6

Just in that simple comparo Im seeing this:

The SSR is a bit larger in height and a lot wider, MUCH heavier, has a lower load rating, and lower ply rating. It does have a deeper tread depth though.

The STA retails for $135, while the Interco retails for $150

The STAs simply fit the bill better.

And I just keep talking myself into these tire more :drunk:

i

but then again where I play isn't that far from my house.Its nice when the woods are 17 miles from your house...

Thats probably where Im loosing you guys a bit. I know you guys like to wheel.

This isnt a "trail rig"

This isnt a car I beat on.

This isnt a car I TRY to break.

It is a tool to get me into the back country on logging/forest service/abandoned roads. Finding a tire that I dont have to worry about is the current goal.

And yes, every time we do this I have a complete tool kit with all the appropriate replacement parts. And considering this rig is getting us to a destination that starts a backpacking trip that will last anywhere from 2-4 weeks, I think we have the food and water thing handled. :D

You would be better off getting an LT rated A/T tire.

The Grabber is pretty kick rump roast all around I hear.

http://www.tiresdirect.net/GENERAL_Grabber_AT2_27X8_50R14_P2554C193.cfm?gclid=CLjOqa7e2KwCFQZbhwodg0uJqQ

Or, Toyo a/t's, or Kenda kevlars, Uniroyal Liberators(Wal-Terrain),or several other choices that don't really matter.....I really just wanted to comment on the two spares :)

And for the record.I have been on two trips now that have netted utilizing two spares.With my brother in his truck once.(Not at all on anything hard, just bad luck).

And in Lilly , I was hunting up in Colville,busted the first, put on the spare.I then preceded a couple of hours later to burst another.Good thing I had two spare tires.:drunk:And I or we were not "wheeling" on either of those occasions.

Sha-it you not.....

Cheers.

Edited by monstaru