Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 98 OBW has developed bad brakes. My wife drives the car, and I don't drive it much. Noticed recently that the brakes seemed to work okay, but foot pressure on the pedal made it seem like the brakes were no longer power brakes. It seemed to require considerable foot pressure on the pedal to stop. Stopping distance seemed okay, and car would brake hard if you really pushed hard on the pedal.

Now today, the brakes seem weak with increased stopping distance. Now pressing down hard on the pedal just gingerly slows the car. Now, impossible to come close to locking up the brakes, or activating the ABS system. Something is definitely wrong, and bad brakes makes this car unsafe to drive.

The weather is locking in chili, wet, and cold. I don't have a garage, or the time to work on this project myself. So, I dropped the car off to my favorite independent garage for them to fix on Monday. I am thinking this may be a master cylinder problem, but I am uncertain. I know the brake pads are good, I checked their condition last summer. Besides, there is no brake grinding noise. Any advise???? Thanks!!

It's a good idea to annually inspect the brake hardware and lubricate, even if the brakes are not due. Probably best every other oil change, or once before winter, and once after, twice anually. It's the kind of thing that letting it go too long will warrant total replacement becuse things become rusty and seized.

It's a good idea to annually inspect the brake hardware and lubricate, even if the brakes are not due. Probably best every other oil change, or once before winter, and once after, twice anually. It's the kind of thing that letting it go too long will warrant total replacement becuse things become rusty and seized.

Thanks for your advise. I never knew about lubing up the slides on a regular basis. I just thought the slides should only be lubed when pads replaced. I also just learned their is a special brake slide grease. I always used lithium grease, but maybe the special slide grease is better??

You want to use a silicone grease like "sil-glyde" available at napa. Or the 99c packs thay sell you at autozone.

I recommend this especially if you live in a winter road salt environment, heavy urban driving, or if the car sits for long periods between driving where time and age rack up faster than the miles.

Edited by MilesFox
spelling