Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whats it worth. 95 legacy 2.2 with rod bearing out.

Looking at a 95 legacy with the 2.2. 215k, on CL. Seller says "engine has knock, serviceman said rod bearing is out."

He's asking 580...whats it worth. body looks good. engine "looks" good. Thinking of offering him 400.

Edited by 952.2LX
put milage in

I purchased a 95 L wagon a few years ago for 200 with a bad knock, proceeded to drive it home the 8 miles to my house from where I purchased it, the engine let go 4 miles from my house, hole in the top of the block.

I pulled the junk motor out, and sold the car with a ej22 that looked good, but not installed. I sold it for 700..........so i netted about 400 profit.

Value varies wildly - what's it worth to you to have a good vehicle?

If doing the labor yourself, even with the $580 asking price you could easily be into a reliable high mileage capable vehicle for under $1,000. That's not a bad deal for someone that needs a car and can end up with something reliable and capable of a lot of cheap miles into the future.

Wear and tear, cosmetics, and rust matter. lots of wear, dings, scratches, been sitting for 3 years, pealing clear coat and rust holes....i'd pass. if it's pristine and the guy seems honest, has some service records, etc - i'd be willing to pay more.

EJ22 failures are usually due to running low on oil or coolant. no engine can withstand that.

Lots to take into account. If it has good tires, clean title, decent interior, good axles, and everything is good except the spun bearing; $400 is a good price whether you fix and drive or fix and flip. Source a lower mileage shortblock out of a wrecked car, stick it in, and sell it/drive it.

For me, I'll buy a great car with an engine needing work because the engine is really the easy part. Tires are expensive, transmissions suck to work on, and interiors take forever to clean/repair.

EJ22 failures are usually due to running low on oil or coolant. no engine can withstand that.

Yep, I was just going to mention maintenance. I looked at a Legacy once that this young couple had for sale... They had owned it for a couple years, and the guy was really trying his best to sell it by talking about how cheap it was to maintain. He remarked that the whole time they had owned it, they had only replaced two brake pads and "topped up the oil once" when the light came on. :banghead: There were no service records with the car, because the previous owner "hadn't needed to do anything either". :banghead:

I can only imagine what the oil must have looked like... I didn't even bother to pull the dipstick. :D

For what it is worth, I recently bought a 95, 2.2 motor from a wrecking yard for $400. Suppose to have about 146K miles on the odo. I transplanted the motor into my 98 OBW. I saw prices advertised on 2.2 motors for sale by yards. Price was from $400 to $750, just to give you an idea of cost.

Another thought is that the lower end of the 2.2 motor could be rebuilt. Prolly take a new crank and bearings........worth thinking about.

Right on, Thanks for the reply's. I'm going to go look and listen tomorrow. Maybe offer 250.

I've just never heard of a rod bearing going out in a 2.2. (except when bheinen just posted) :)

I saw one that had put number one through the top of the block in the junkyard Sunday. The EJ22 stamp was broken out perfectly.

I paid $700 for my 95 wagon but it only needed a few minor things besides a burned valve. It ended up needing a head gasket, and subsequently another block after I found the cylinder wall chewed up. But the brakes were great, tires practically new, NO rust (even the bolts on the exhaust system are rust free), interior is perfect.

WOW, thanks for all the input. Lots to consider. Well the guy never called me back after I said I would like to look it over...hmmm maybe he already sold it. Anyway Thanks again everyone.

Best now to call him to see if sold or still for sale. It is worth a call.