Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Common failure areas of gen2 Legacy

Im pretty familiar at this point as to items that fail a lot on Gen1 legacys, but specifically for a 95 or 96 model year with an EJ22, what are the common failure points?

I assume knock sensors, and probably cv joints and wheel bearings, and of course torque bind, but what else is a common trouble area on these models?

Those don't seem to have a ton of problems.

edit....ok well I did think of a couple things....but mainly due to salty roads and the resulting rust....rusty rear brake lines, rear crossmember rusting out, fuel filler pipe rusting out, rear latch/hatch rusting out.

Edited by porcupine73

That's true. I had both front springs on my '96 and '94 break. They both had that recall I believe. There are bulletins for various years/models for corrosion where they will apply some stuff to help it not rust as fast.

My '96 had the tow hook recall, but it still has its tow hooks! Fortunately the previous owner didn't see fit to have it castrated.

The sensors Miles mentioned do seem to need replacement often. My '96 has had all those, knock sensor, engine coolant temp sensor, and cam position sensor. Fortunately none of those are expensive or difficult.

• 4 weeks later...

Alternators are a problem on the 95 to 98's - but they had a recall campaign that corrected most of them. Sadly I see a lot of cheap reman alts that have been put in because people didn't know about the recall and the $65 alts from the dealer - this usually results in repeated failures and replacements with cheap aftermarket units.

GD

How can you beat a non-interference ej22 and a good automatic transmission for reliability?

I've beat the snot out of my 95 automatic for over a year now. Without any problems.

My car looks like rump roast, but I would drive it cross country in a heartbeat. Well worth the $480 I spent. I wish it got better MPG though... ;)