Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 99 obw with 140k. I read all the threads about piston slap . ( I have a mild case of slap). But this is the first car. I have owned that slapped and I just had a hard time believing that knock was benign. So for my own piece of mind, I sent an oil sample to blackstone labs. Well, all the metal numbers were well below averages. The only thing that was off was the viscosity. I use mobil 5000 5w30 and it tested closer to 50w20p. So, you guys are right! That knock is doing no harm at all. But the test was cheap piece of mind.

I have a 99 obw with 140k. I read all the threads about piston slap . ( I have a mild case of slap). But this is the first car. I have owned that slapped and I just had a hard time believing that knock was benign. So for my own piece of mind, I sent an oil sample to blackstone labs. Well, all the metal numbers were well below averages. The only thing that was off was the viscosity. I use mobil 5000 5w30 and it tested closer to 50w20p. So, you guys are right! That knock is doing no harm at all. But the test was cheap piece of mind.

I know it's been said that piston slap is "rather benign", but it's not like it's a "desirable" thing. It's not and the pistons are getting hammered with the cylinder walls when it happens.

It's the same on this board with people saying hydraulic lash adjuster noise is "rather benign". It's not either, as you can have about .040" clearance in the valve train and the cam lobes being softer than what they are rubbing against, get hammered and beaten badly.

I just tore down one of those "tick of death" engines. The cam is worn beyond specs. and you can see exactly where it gets hammered.

I do have an engine with mild piston slap on start up. I just let it warm up untill it dissapears.

hth

Doug

Attached is a copy of the report. I had done some major engine work (HG, timing etc) over the summer and before it had gotten colder out I had never heard a slap from this engine (60+ seems to be the magic number). The only concern I have is the viscosity. I intentionally used four qts of 5-30 then topped it off with a little more then a qt of 10-30. I wanted it a little bit thicker oil at start up ,but didnt want to risk a full 10-30 oil change in winter. And I ended up with something closer to 5-20?

post-38864-136027651857_thumb.jpg

Its easier for me to type the results then to try and get that &*$%$#@# scanner to work....

Comments. Thanks for the note about possible piston slap. Wear metals are very low in this sample, so if there is something going on, it doesnt apperar to be hurting anything. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type engine after about 4500 miles on the oil. Typically, that type of problem would show up as aluminum (pistons), iron (Cylinders), and maybe chrome( Rings). The only thing to really note is the low viscosity, which was closer to 5w-20 then 5w-30 or 10w-30. It dosent seem to hurt anything though. all in all, nice report at 140k miles.

Average

mi/hr on oil 2000

mi/hr on unit 140k

make up oil added 1qt

aluminum 1 3

chromium 1 1

iron 2 8

copper 1 4

lead 1 4

tin 0 1

molybdeum 23 69

nickle 0 0

manganese 0 0

silver 0 0

titanium 16 0

potassium 1 2

boron 10 47

silicon 5 12

sodium 197 31

calcium 2121 2212

magnesium 75 123

phosphorus 726 713

zinc 752 855

barium 0 0

sus viscosity at 210f 53.6 should be 56-63

cst viscosity at 100c 8.36 should be 9.1- 11.3

flashpoint 385f should be 365f

fuel 0.5 should be 2.0

antifreez 0.0

water 0.0

insolubles 0.2 should be 0.6

oil type mobil 5000 5w-30

interval 2000 mi

subaru 2.5 dohc

Interesting. I'll have to stick a mirror in my engine tomorrow and get a good look at the wear patterns on the cams. I have lots of "clicking" at any engine speed that is too frequent to be bottom end noise, but not loud enough to be collapsed lifters. This gives me an idea that it may be dents in the cam lobes.

Anyway [/offtopic]

How much do you pay for the Blackstone reports?

25.00 sent me a free kit. easy enough to do. pulled a few ounces from the middle of my hot oil change . They supply the container, etc. There is a form to place comments or specific concerns. Got it back in about a week. sent me a hard copy and email. I feel it was worth it. As i said earlier, i had this motor apart and when i put it back together I heard the knock (weather got colder). Really put my mind at ease