Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1500 miles in a GL

opus

I am happy with my little EA powered Loyale, 90 horsepower and all.

Guys at my work, most of them drive newer 4wd trucks (and they have their share of issues/recalls believe me), yet they see me get to work in the same snow they do, but do it with a vehicle I payed $200 for and that gets around 28 mpg. :)

Long live the EA82. :-p

One of the guys I work with just bought a fancy ford 4x4, $50,000 with $600 a month truck payment, now ad to that the cost of his full coverage insurance for it, and it comes out to be pretty close to a house payment, that would buy a whole lot of EA82's

My little car is paid for, no monthly payments, and I have minimum liability insurance on it which costs me $45 a month, I figured why put full coverage on something you can replace for less then a paycheck?

and as you said, I can still go to work in the same snow that Joe Ford does, and park right next to his big shiny truck, and not be concerned about the door dings he puts in my roof top while he takes up a parking spot and a half, I take up the last half of that second parking spot his truck is in, I wonder if he's noticed the door dings in his running boards yet from my car?

Edited by Stubies Subie

I love my 86 GL. Its so simple. It runs great and has put up with about 4K miles of hard driving on a bad driver side headgasket... but I keep the oil up and watch the temperature, still no issues.

Now recently acquired is a 1990 Legacy L (Yes I know, I learned at an early age that FWD sucks, but hey, its cheap and its my sisters) and I admit, that has some power but I wont take it over NED... No way in... a burning place:rolleyes: .

I can say though... that taking a ride in GDs SS... Ill take an EJ22T over an EA82... God that thing is fast as... a burning place:rolleyes:.

I shall mix the two someday... NED with an EJ22T and AWD... hehe :brow: but my GL will always be my GL and I wont get rid of it... even when I expand my Subaru garage to a FXT, LGT, SS, STI etc.

These threads come up all the time. You just can't compare EJ22s and EA82s. And EA82s are not very good roadtrip cars no matter how you look at it. This is coming from somebody who's 6'4" though, for a smaller lighter person those seats could be tolerable.

EA82s leak alot of oil too, it's just built in their design. And that's not good for the environment. EA81s on the other hand... now THOSE are GOOD cars. Once again, not really for road trips but for a dead reliable, durable and long lasting setup... you can't beat it. ESPECIALLY not with an EA82. Heads practically designed to warp when overheaded AND an unusually weak cooling system... recipe for disaster. No wonder they're all dead. Barely any left around here. The last remaing Soobie shop that specialized in older Subarus closed down, at the time I had 2 EA82s that were running. Without him, there's nowhere to find parts so I retired them and got an Impreza. NOWHERE near as fun to drive as the EA82 though... those EA82 bodies are just plain light and well balanced.

To sum it up: EA82 body + EA81 engine = only pre-EJ22 setup that's worth anything besides just straight up EA81s back.

... an EA82. Heads practically designed to warp when overheaded ...

That is Why Subaru Made the Third Gen of EA82 Heads with all that Problems (including the Weakness that leaded to a Crack between Valves) Solved.

For those who don't Know or Don't Remember:

• first EA82 Heads: has "EA82" Alone, stamped on Them
  • second gen EA82 Heads: has "EA82" Underlined on Them.
  • third EA82 Heads: has "[EA82]" Surrounded by a Square and Doesn't have EGR Passages :brow:

The Third Gen EA82 Heads didn't came stock on Any Engine, I Obtained mines for my BumbleBeast Long Years Ago at the Dealer; Those were Improved Replacement Heads for the EA82.

Kind Regards.

These threads come up all the time. You just can't compare EJ22s and EA82s. And EA82s are not very good roadtrip cars no matter how you look at it. This is coming from somebody who's 6'4" though, for a smaller lighter person those seats could be tolerable.

EA82s leak alot of oil too, it's just built in their design. And that's not good for the environment. EA81s on the other hand... now THOSE are GOOD cars. Once again, not really for road trips but for a dead reliable, durable and long lasting setup... you can't beat it. ESPECIALLY not with an EA82. Heads practically designed to warp when overheaded AND an unusually weak cooling system... recipe for disaster. No wonder they're all dead. Barely any left around here. The last remaing Soobie shop that specialized in older Subarus closed down, at the time I had 2 EA82s that were running. Without him, there's nowhere to find parts so I retired them and got an Impreza. NOWHERE near as fun to drive as the EA82 though... those EA82 bodies are just plain light and well balanced.

To sum it up: EA82 body + EA81 engine = only pre-EJ22 setup that's worth anything besides just straight up EA81s back.

My brother is 6'4" and loves road tripping in my GL. He loves it more than his Volvo S80, his Ford Ranger... Not more than the Porsches that come in and out of his house, but my $800 car shouldnt compare to an $80,000 car.

Im not thrashing the EJ22, Im not even saying the EA82 is better, but its not a motor that deserves all the trash-talk it gets.

I still beg to differ on that too...

Im rebuilding an EA82 for NED because its an SPFI block vs my carb block, and its got better heads than my heads etc...

If I rebuild it, and it lasts for 150k miles, I can resell it for a hundred or so and I will have gotten 150k out of it... chances are it will only get 50-75k miles on it because I plan to swap in an EJ22T later.

Well, I don't know about all of the EA82 versus everything else BUT I think I have one in my 86 that with what my 86 cost plus tires and a battery - 13,000 miles and running so far. Gotta love that. I bet I could take it 10,000 miles right now. (With spare belts.)

Now my 99, tons more power, seats still underpadded seats but more room, fuel injected, 15 inch rather than 13 inch tires. Blew a headgasket outside Billings, drove another 50 miles (had to to get cell service) then car died after smoking SUPER bad. Replaced headgasket - good as new.

They are both good engines. My 86 though is easier to work on so far.