Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear window wiper

The rear winder wiper on Ol' KC (My Loyale) really bugs me, it's either on or off, no fast, no slow, no intermittent, just one speed fits all.

Did those rear window wipers ever come any other way? And is there a way to either make mine multi speed or intermittent.

A simple modification would be nice, one that wouldn’t require an engineering degree from Harvard.

You can get universal intermittent wiper boxes at most auto parts stores that wire into any car or truck. They used to be common, because a lot of older(early 70's and back) cars only had one or two speeds, but I've seen them around still.

If you have a little experience building circuits, you can make one. I like this one because of its simplicity and the ability to use a replaceable standard automotive relay, which is usually why these die.

http://www.techlib.com/files/wiperkik.pdf

Just cannibalize one from another car. Don't the newer Suubs have several levels of intermittant settings. In fact, don't they also keep the wiper going for a few swipes when you spray some washer fluid, too?

Hell, I wanna do this for my front wipers!