Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Leaking coolant need help.

okay so i have a 2000 outback. i need to know what i need so i can replace the timing belt and water pump. i am capable of doing it, but i also need some advice on how to do it. like the pricing of the parts and just basic stuff.. any help would be appreciated. thank you! :D

timing belt, cam seals, cam cap o-ring, discharge o-ring for oil pump, sealant for oil pump, crank seal, water pump, water pump gasket, thermostat, thermostat gasket, optionally radiator hoses, optionally a few replacement shouldered and regular bolts for the timing belt covers in case any snap or are rusty, accessory drive belts, idlers (at the minimum the geared/toothed one), tensioner and idler

might as well do the valve clearance check and adjust, valve cover gaskets, spark plug tube seals while in there.

And that's about it.

For pricing.....some people are using the eBay importexperts timing belt kits, they are pretty cost effective, much moreso than using genuine parts as the idlers are expensive. Some people get this kit but get a genuine belt.

You should consider pullig hte engine, as you will have access to doing all the seals easily with the motor out.

Considering the likelyhood of HG failures, you can consider replacing them with the updated design.

Otherwise, if you do not have HG issues, run the subaru coolant conditioner with the new coolant.

Are you 100% sure the leak is from the water pump? How many miles on the odometer?

I'm not 100% I haven't had time to really look at it. But that's my guess. It has had the timing belt and water pump replaced once. I'm taking it into a shop tomorrow to see what is the problem. But it has 169xxx miles.