Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX 3 door rarity?

Everyday when I'm taking my son to daycare, I've seen an EA82 front end in a driveway, there's always a car next to it and the house is right on the other side, so I've only seen the nose from the front; in passing.

Today, I drove past and there was no car next to it, and saw that it appears to be an RX? It's a 3 door, has a full lip/side skirt kit, might have a spoiler, and looked like it had the 80s-tastic writing on the side. Considering seeing what it is and if it's for sale.

Question being, just how rare of a car is it, and would it be worth the time and money to pursue it? Or are they (I hate to use the term, but) throwaway cars like the GLs and Loyales?

Question being, just how rare of a car is it, and would it be worth the time and money to pursue it? Or are they (I hate to use the term, but) throwaway cars like the GLs and Loyales?

They're deffinately harder to find than a wagon or sedan.

Wouldn't hurt to take a look. :popcorn:

I must say that I drool everytime I see one of these - but I've only seen photos and brochures like the above from Uberscoober as we never got them in Australia. All that are here are special imports - even then I only know of two that have been landed and driven daily here.

I would love one of these. Got a game plan - if it wasn't to be kept completely original I'd probably drop a WRX drivetrain in it, water to air intercooler and a neat exhaust that is quiet enough when idling and under light throttle but really opens up as you go hard on the throttle. It would be a total sleeper!

Thought I might share that. Super keen for one!

Cheers

Bennie

the 3door coupe is the rarest of all the body style by production, even rarer than the xt.

although we had ea82's from 85-94, we only had 3doors from 86-90 (90 loyale RS)

they were avaiable from fwd dl to rx full time, or turbo gl. The gl-10 trim was never offered with the 3door.

The gl-10 trim was never offered with the 3door.

Are you sure? I got the front seats in my 87 3-door gl out off a red gl-10 turbo 3-door at the junkyard. Had full time 4wd with a locking rear diff. Nice car, wish I could have bought it, sine I'm guessing the engine probably just blew a headgasket or something.

I really like the looks of these.

if it's for sale, buy it.

where I live I have never seen one in real life. (never seen an ea81 hatch either)

I really like the sealed beams on the DL make it looks more "classic"

I was watching a Video on one-eye's youtube of Scott's Lifted Coupe and man that thing looks as cool lifted as it does slammed.

it has a hard-top look on the side glass, does the second window roll down too? the XT looks like it would but doesn't. I am curious.

If your going to post a pic of one, at least make it the best one :-p

Newcoilovers1a.jpg

I need to do a decent photoshoot soon.

I can say hands down, yours is the absolute cleanest RX 3-door coupe I've seen so far. When I purchased my '88 GL 3-door it was in pretty rough shape, but it's a work in progress haha. I give you props for that beast, every time I see you post I just kinda drool a little bit looking at that avatar :clap:

Is the 3-door really that rare?

Here in Austria, they were called Leone Turismo and they sold in bigger numbers than the Sedan, the XT was by far the rarest of the EA82s.

Does someone have the production figures of the Leone III? Did they built less Turismos (3-door coupes) than XTs?

I am restoring a Turismo over winter, so that´s quite interesting for me.

Thanks!

L

Are you sure? I got the front seats in my 87 3-door gl out off a red gl-10 turbo 3-door at the junkyard. Had full time 4wd with a locking rear diff. Nice car, wish I could have bought it, sine I'm guessing the engine probably just blew a headgasket or something.

i have had 40 subarus in the last 10 years, and yet i have never seen a gl-10 3 door. the only thing close is i saw a picture of a euro-spec 3door with a sunroof, which was never an option in the usdm

are you sure this wasn't an xt. otherwise it would be an RX, with the diff lock, which was never a gl-10, or red for that matter. there were gl-10 xt's

unless you are not in the USA where is 'falcon'?

They did offer a GL-10 3 door coupe but they are fairly rare. Basically a RX had almost all the options the GL-10 had so most people got that. I have seen an '88 GL-10 coupe that was MPFI NA, 4EAT with a LSD.

I would have to see one. Not that i don't believe you, but i have never seen a reference to one. Does it have the gl-10 textured door panels and pillowy seats?

suppose that would be the rarest subaru of all ea82's

Car had basically a gray RX interior. Looked identical to the RXs I've owned. Car was bright red, no bodykit. Nothing real distinguishing about it but it did have a OEM gl-10 sticker on the hatch.

Only thing I can think of if it wasn't an actual gl-10 is maybe it got rear ended and the wrong badge got placed back on it.

i have had 40 subarus in the last 10 years, and yet i have never seen a gl-10 3 door. the only thing close is i saw a picture of a euro-spec 3door with a sunroof, which was never an option in the usdm

are you sure this wasn't an xt. otherwise it would be an RX, with the diff lock, which was never a gl-10, or red for that matter. there were gl-10 xt's

unless you are not in the USA where is 'falcon'?

Yeah, I'm sure. I have an 87 Gl coupe. I took the front seats from it, as they had the height adjustment, and were generally more comfortable. It didn't have any of the body moldings from the RX, and it said Gl-10. It was in the local U-Pull-And-Pay (Falcon is just east of Colorado Springs, Colorado, the UPAP is just south of "The Springs"). In Colorado, I've seen a DL in the junkyard, that Gl-10 in they yard, and I own a GL of the coupe, but those are the only ones I've seen here. I saw a red coupe in Oregon this summer when I drove up to Portland for a conference, but from a distance, so I didn't catch the trim. I'm guessing GL. I honestly wish I could have snagged it, everything looked alright, my guess is the turbo blew a head gasket, and the owner scrapped it. It even had the Turbo decal on the side. Guess I should've taken a pic. :P