Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Guy looking for opinions

Hey guys just purchased a 1996 Legacy Outback, and I have already fallen in love with this thing being its my first subaru that i have ever owned, anyways just wanted some opinions on some things i can do to the EJ22, I hear theres a lot of ways to unleash this reliable engine and also keep in mind i want to keep it as a budget build as much as possible. any opinions would greatly be appreciated, im just trying to learn and figure out the ins and outs of these cars!

-GONZO

the 1996 is probbaby the best year for the 2nd gen legacy. 1996 legacy outback was a regular legacy with outback badges, but the year before the body lift and the cladding. The 96 legacy outback comes with 15 inch alloys like the turbo legacy sedans.

I had one as a 5mt, and my buddy had the same exact car as a 4eat

Mine had better than 260,000 mi when i sold it.

I think you're off by a year Miles. 1995 was first year of "Outback" but it was just a Legacy with a trim package. Here's Cars 101 dscription:

"the 1996 was the first year for a fully realized Outback with the 2.2L or 2.5L engine. The Outback model was introduced in 1995 as a trim level of the 2.2L Legacy with 2 tone paint and special cloth, and the 96 model got the 2.5L engine with the automatic transmission or the 2,2L with the manual. All models got the 2 tone paint, raised ground clearance and raised roof that immediately came to identify the Outback."

Congratulations on your purchase!

things i can do to the EJ22, I hear theres a lot of ways to unleash this reliable engine

What kinds of things have you heard? There really isn't much 'hidden power' in this engine. A good tune up with NGK spark plugs and making sure the knock sensor isn't resulting in retarded timing is the best route. Things such as 'cold air intakes' usually actually result in less power, because the intake is tuned for one, and second it already draws in cool air from the fender, so a CAI with a filter under the hood will actually become a WARM air intake! :D

Well my registration states it is a 1996 Legacy Outback based off of VIN. I have heard some things from a buddy of mine who has owned a Subaru repair shop for some time. Im more than positive it is the EJ22 and as for miles it has around 155k. Manual transmission and everything.

From what i have heard is there are a few things to do. For instance i hear switching out the cams can help and also by free ing up the intake it helps improve the HP, along with new headers and a new exhaust system, thats without dropping a lot of money into the engine. The header situation tho is a tough one for me though since my engine is a single port and a not a dual port so after market headers wont really help me.

The main thing i want out of this car is too have some fun and be able zip around if needed. I dont want to make it into a full speedster quite yet....

Ah ok yes that is a good point, I forgot about that one, many people like to get the Delta cam regrinds to open it up a little bit.

That is 100% true thats what my buddy told me so thats what i was thinking of doing !

So have you heard good reviews from peopl who do that?

I haven't done it but I don't think it's overly difficult. You have to take the valve covers, timing belt, and cam sprockets off of course. So if replacing the timing belt that can be a good time to do it, and valve cover gaskets.

That shouldnt be too terribly difficult based off of the space that I have in the engine compartment so i should be able to do it fairly quickly i believe

Does anybody know if i can get aftermarket headers for this engine?

There are frequently used headers on eby. People seem to find they make no difference. Cams likely will not make any difference; any minor increase in hp will likely shorten engine life due to higher stress, IMO. Unless you are into writing machine code and coding your own eproms, I doubt the change necessary in the ecu will be worth any amount of time.

It's not really a builder car, it has much more potential as a longevity and cost efficiency project. IMO.

The real trick, IMO, is to bring a typically neglected car back from teh brink of failure. Eliminate all lag by changing plugs, wires, getting a code reader.

The single best you can do, IMO, to a high mileage subaru is to put on KYB struts, and replace the front balljoints while you're at it. That will run you 750 in a shop, or 300 parts.

Tires are a huge deal, and mantaining identical circumference is critical, so a 5 tire rotation is something to consider. Choosing the best tires is a real trick. I'm happy with Dunlops on the Legate and OEM Yokohamas on theh 2008.. A set of Pirellis p3000 on the 99 did pretty well, but are showing some sidewall bumps.

Some of them come with upgraded factory sound, with a subwoofer under the passenger front seat and pillar tweeters. That is a nice system for cars that have substantial running noise.

I have heard Borla headers are entirely unsatisfactory, and they sound just bad, IMO.

There is plenty to keep you busy on this car, and keeping it stock makes it much more attractive if you think you might ever sell it. Nothing chases me away from Sube ads quicker than "Lotsa perf upgrades".

On the other hand, occasionally I think I would like to find a freshly smashed WRX to swap all stuff into my slightly rusty Legato wagon, just to raise eyebrows.

I think so and higher compression.... so you get higher displacement, and higher compression. I think its about a 30hp jump but not positive. There are threads out there. Of course this requires a ej25 block which you dont have, and removal of the engine... but from what I have heard the people that end up doing it love it.

True i dont have the 2.5 block but im sure i could find one, im usually pretty good about finding parts from all over the place, i may need to do my research into this, but i am also thinking that i may go a different route altogether based on cost still doing my research