Ultimate Subaru Message Board

trouble with wheels!

4X140: Beside Subaru, Peugeot and Renault had them; is really Hard to obtain Subaru 14" wheels, those are really scarse. Peugeot & Renault made them in 13", 14" and 15".

I Used to own a "Cheviot" (Made in France) 4X140 rims that came from a Renault, but mixed with other style rims, so Tired of that, I Redrilled the hubs on my Subies since ~ 1999 and has Never had a single issue with them.

I Kindly suggest you to search on the Craiglist or here in the Classifieds.

Kind Regards.

They were never imported to the US by Subaru on a car in anything but 13". There were a few sets sold as upgrades in the 70's. Should you find a set you would be about the 3rd person in the US that I know of to find a set. It is extremely unlikely.

You can (and should) get all this information from a simple forum search. Asking these redundant questions is tiresome.

GD

i just picked up a set of 5 pug 14" steelies for $125.. id start lookin for those lol.

+1

If you want direct bolt on 14s just keep your eye on the for sale section. They come up all the time. I will be posting a couple sets here soon, but I am not going to ship. Since you only put West in your location description I have no idea if that helps you.

+1

If you want direct bolt on 14s just keep your eye on the for sale section. They come up all the time. I will be posting a couple sets here soon, but I am not going to ship. Since you only put West in your location description I have no idea if that helps you.

must... resist... selling... xbox... for... pugs... :drunk:

I miss my pugs :(

i have two steel 15" pugs, with no lugs.

they have 195/60/15 michelin x radials in excellent shape.

let me know if anybody interested.

maybe one of them would make a good spare?

the tires are great, and the level of aggressive that i want.

just too small. i think they must be roughly 25.8" or so.

im running 27s.

actually, that brings up a good question.

since my brat is fully independent suspension, and all four corners

are on their own:

what is the maximum SAFE size difference of spare i can use?

So I also have been trying to nail down a set of Pug's. I have a set of 14 alloys on my car now. problem is 2 rims are kinda bent and now it is almost impossible to find any.

So this 6 lug thing, is it just as simple as taking the hub off lining up two of the holes and then marking 2 others? Then of course just drilling and having tires balanced and mounted? I see several sets of 6 lug Toyota rims on C-List is this the way to go?

Thanks for any help direction I plan on getting this done in time for some Holiday driving my front end shakes a little too much now:)

So I also have been trying to nail down a set of Pug's. I have a set of 14 alloys on my car now. problem is 2 rims are kinda bent and now it is almost impossible to find any.

So this 6 lug thing, is it just as simple as taking the hub off lining up two of the holes and then marking 2 others? Then of course just drilling and having tires balanced and mounted? I see several sets of 6 lug Toyota rims on C-List is this the way to go?

Thanks for any help direction I plan on getting this done in time for some Holiday driving my front end shakes a little too much now:)

I would go with careful measurements, not just lining up... some may have done it and been successful, but this is the structure of the 4 wheels your vehicle rides on... where if it isnt done correctly and malfunctions... you and your vehicle may be going to the bone yard.

I don't see a problem with bolting up an old hub with 2 studs knocked out and making marks with a transfer punch. I thought that's how everyone does it.

That is pretty much how it is done. It can be accomplished with careful use of a hand drill, but a drill press makes this job much easier.

here's what I did and it was my first time; i'm no expert so beware as I may die soon from some fubar'd task but I'm just tellin ya, if I go down.. ill have a freak'n grin on my face cuz i'm in my old soob... :

but seriously... the risk is yours, but here's my process:

1. found a set of 15" nissan steels 5.5's on craigslist for $40 or so.. locate a set of 15" mud tires (lucky if you find used these days)

2. go find a drill press, an couple of cans of wd-40 and the proper final bit size

for the stock Subaru lug stud splines (not the stud threads but the splines section that locks it into the hub; i can't recall what that should be). OR,

3. do what i did and find a shop with a good drill press and a willingness to drill those puppies out for ya (to spec) so that the stock Subaru lug studs will Lock into place once they are hammered it...(NOTE: on my front hubs, the shop had to do a little spot grinding to make room for the stud heads to fit

FLUSH on teh back side of the hub, but I STILL had to grind off some of the

stud heads so they seated themselves flush.. I didn't have to do that on the rear disk hubs so your mileage may vary.. ya dig

4. pull the hubs off your ride (or find a spare set of front hubs for practice/insurance if you wish).

5. Unbolt the brake rotor from your hub (if you're doing the front or rear disc brake hubs) as for rear drums, I assume you'll

just need to remove them from the car and clean them up a bit prior to drilling. (I haven't drilled brake drums, ever..so beware)

6. try using an oak block on the stud to buffer the BFH blows while you hammer out 2 of the 4 (opposite of one another) and they will likely need to be soaked in 'Kroil"; else have the shop press them out.. some of them are difficult to hammer out without thread distruction.. (rockauto has a close out deal on lug studs now)

7. once 2 studs are removed, bolt the 2 studded hub up to your recently found Nissan 6lug wheels.

8. Take those to your local shop guy and say you want the hubs drilled so that you can add 4 additional studs to each hub that match up (perfectly)

with the nissan wheels. explain that there may be some grinding work required on the back of the hub PLUS on the shoulders of the studs provided (subaru standard) so that they will drive in straight and true. PLUS that you want them to lock in (like they're supposed to) after they

are driven in.. no welding or additional heating of the hub will be required then.. that's a good thing.

I paid about 40 bucks for this drilling service at a local welding/machine shop so I thought it was worth it; even though I had access to a small

drill press.. they had a large drill press and were professionals. so thats

how i did it..

sorry I don't have that drill bit size but if you pick up a subaru lug stud then

you could measure it yourself, or politely ask one of these 'USMB studs' and they'll know.. they all off-road more soobs before 8am than I'll ever do for the rest of my life.. ha!!! darn honey-badger soob wheeler's...

here are some pictures of drilled hubs:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Y10MgSRlEXz_giYTOU1T_3Lwffs_tylQWvZv0Iv-BDw?feat=directlink

@noob2soob - I'd recommend being kind to the USMB members; they will help you someday so never bite the

hands that will feed you someday...

@scoutem - this same post is located within another thread (what have done lately to your soob...) not certain

if the moderators have noticed or if they moved it but double postings across threads causes smelly feet and excessive

body odor.. ( i have no idea why/how but it's been documented, somewhere.. ;)

:brow:

peace!!

gadberry

Edited by gadberry
numbered key steps

I just obtained 3 sets of Peugeot 14" rims

From what I can gather, the best choice in tire to work on my Brat will probably be Simex 195/60R14 tires.

What is the widest tire you can use with these rims that will not hit (stock-height) fenders or rub on struts/springs?

Thanks for all your help and step by step instructions Gadberry (very helpful) I am/was hoping for a much simpler way. But you are correct it is a kinda important part of the car :) Taj I contacted you about your rims thanks. Has anyone seen any 6 lug adapted rims for sale on here? Sorry about the repost my computer was acting up/ not showing my post so I hit repost a few times

turns out my Peugeot rims are 15's not 14's!

I'm trying to re-figure tire calculations now

185/60R15 is 1" bigger tire than stock and you are going 4.7% faster than speedo says, seems reasonable

Edited by TajMan

For the amount of trouble you'd got to to track down some pugs, might as well redrill some Toyota steelies, or go the extra step to convert to 6-lug hubs so you could run any Toy or Chev 6-lug rims you want.

The other day, some chick on Craigslist had a set of 20-inch stock Cadillac Escalade rims and tires for $200. Was tempted to grab them just to try and fit them onto my GLW. Not for everyday use, but just to look like a tool when cruisin on Friday nights. xD

Edited by Cyfun
damn spellcheck

For the amount of trouble you'd got to to track down some pugs, might as well redrill some Toyota steelies, or go the extra step to convert to 6-lug hubs so you could run any Toy or Chev 6-lug rims you want.

The other day, some chick on Craigslist had a set of 20-inch stock Cadillac Escalated rims and tires for $200. Was tempted to grab them just to try and fit them onto my GLW. Not for everyday use, but just to look like a tool when cruisin on Friday nights. xD

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: