Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just bought a 2004 Forester XT, and a month later it threw a check engine light! Blah... Had my brother run a scan and it came back as "p1153"

this reads as bank 1 sensor 1

So I replaced the sensor with an universal and of course the check engine light is still on!! even after removing the battery cable it came back on within 1 minute.

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

The code doesn't necessarily implicate the part. Often it is the part that is faulty, but it can be other things. Since P1nnn is manufacturer specific, you might need to get a glance at the Subaru service manual to see what they say to check. Some people have had trouble with universal/aftermarket sensors in the front position, but since your code was already on before messing with it that probably isn't it.

Several times, I tried replacing an O2 sensor with a universal. The kind where you had to splice & solder the electrical wires together. Maybe it was me, and I couldn't, or didn't solder well, but I could never get the universal to work correctly, or if correct, couldn't get the universal to last more then 6-12 months before throwing a code again. I finally wised up, and went to OEM, where no splicing is involved, and have had no problems. Just my 2 cents worth of history.

hmmmm....universals are often for the rear sensor, they won't work for the front.

but there probably are universals for the front so - dunno, might worth triple checking that anyway.

Sensor 1=front, sensor2=rear.

You could have a wiring problem somewhere or a bad ECM.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

If the splicing is the reason for going OEM, Rockauto offer several that include the connector. The only issue is deciding which one to buy :) (BTW: which brand is OEM?)

Can anyone offer feedback about the brands they offer? For my OBW I can see:

APWI

Ultrapower

NTK

Standard Motor Products (connector?)

Denso

Delphi

Bosch

Beck/Arnley

Airtex

AC Delco

yeah I wondered about that... I was just hopeful! and figured the $36 to attempt the universal was worth it before breaking down to buy oem...

Yea, I was of the same frame of mind, always trying to save a buck or two on a purchase. However, as said earlier, universals haven't worked well for me. IMO, it is better to pay extra for one that is made to fit, with no splicing necessary.

I have had good luck with Bosch O2 sensors. I check the on line parts companies, get the Bosch number, then shop for the best price. You can find some deals on Bosch O2 sensors.

Have been futzin' around with p0420 code for a while and had a nice chat with Bosch tech support. They call back within 15 minutes of leaving a message.

I would give them a call since my local Autozone's data base was wrong and gave me the wrong part # for my 05.

Even my local Subie tech says stick with OEM for the front sensor as this controls the engine performance.

From what I've read, the rear sensors on the other hand are worth the risk since they just throw a code to tell you when you are polluting and the cat is shot.

• 2 weeks later...