Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good day all,

Last weekend I pulled the engine from my Wife's 05 Outback. It was leaking oil from the head gaskets and the valve covers. It was due for the timing belt so while I had it out I did the head gaskets, all the oil seals, timing belt components, water pump, plugs and wires, belts etc. etc. It all went well, and I got it back and it runs fine. Also did front brakes, front drivers side axle shaft and sway bar links. The steering rack leaks badly, and it is going into a local shop for that, since it needs to be aligned afterwards. They are also scheduled to do a tranny fluid flush at the same time. My Wife has driven thew car about 300 miles this week, and its been fine.

Now this morning, she took our Daughter out to the end of our driveway to catch the bus. There is a slight incline at the end of the drive. She was parked up the incline, in park, waiting for the bus. I drove down the driveway on my way out, and since she was parked in the middle, she put it in reverse to move out of my way. (Bear with me, I am getting to it!) When she put it in reverse, she heard a clunk. The car backed up fine, bit she wanted to tell me about the clunk so she pulled back up the incline and put it back in park. The car started to roll right back, park has no holding power at all.

She ended up working from home today, and after work I brought it into the shop and jacked up the front end. On the drivers side (the one with the new axle) the wheel turns a bit and stops, as I would have expected. The passenger side wheel spins freely. I can see the axle shaft turning with the wheel, going into the side of the tranny. I dont see this as a good thing!

The tranny fluid is low, but at the "low" mark on the dipstick. Since it is going in for a flush, I didnt feel like dumping the expensive juice into it.

So, any of you Suby Gurus have any sage wisdom for me?

Thanks,

Tim

Hi congrats on your soob, wow that is a lot of investment in work right up front, but it should serve you well for some time to come!

That soob AT's I have noticed have changed through the years. On some in park it does seem to actually block the front wheels from turning much in park (4EAT phase I, late 90's). On 4EAT phase II, it seems to make one front wheel turn the opposite direction that the other is spun, but doesn't actually block them at all.

Park is really a convenience. The parking brake should always be set when parking the vehicle. There are plenty of stories of vehicles rolling away in park. For some years Subaru had a TSB saying the parking brake must be set when parking the vehicle.

Otherwise, it is possible your parking pawl is broken or messed up there. Sometimes people like to park on steep inclines or pop it into park before the vehicle stopped completely and those can possibly mess it up.

Well, turns out I had not gotten the drivers side axle fully engaged into the transaxle. I am not impressed with these newer axles that have the snap ring instead of the older roll pin system. Never had a problem with the rill pins.

So, I got the axle re-inseted into the transaxle and everything now works as it should!

I was really not looking forward to pulling the transaxle!

Thanks,

Tim