Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Running an intercooler?

GONZO97

What on earth are you talking about??

the factory box pulls air from the inner fender well which is CAI. *unless* a PO has mangled that setup.

the only thing you've accomplished from your description is allow a greater chance of debris entering the intake while sucking in a whole lotta hot air. unless I miss understood what you did which I seriously hope I so.

the system that was in my car sucks air in from inside the engine compartment through a snorkel which then goes into a tube that is through the inner fender well which then the factory air box hooked up to that, therefore both filters are pulling air from inside the engine compartment, thats why i dont understand why everyone keeps saying its a CAI when they are both in the engine compartment?? If im mistaken please explain to me where im wrong but that is what i just pulled out and replaced

By design. it should be as follows:

Some sort of air intake silencer which is a funky looking thing behind the fender well which pretty much makes it quiet, then through the sheetmetal to the air box via a connecting tube, then to the AFM then through the intake tube to the throttle body.

there can be improvement to the factory design but where it pulls air from is pretty much the best spot, in front of the fender well behind the fender itself, it in no way at all pulls air from the engine bay.

Can we get some photos maybe? Every EJ engine from factory pulls air from the inner fender, sounds like someones messed about with yours.

Even if they have, I'd just reinstall the factory airbox with the fender snorkus with an OEM or high quality filter. May not look as 'cool' or sound as good but will do a better job and eliminate the chances of FOD like getting water in your intake AND give you colder air intake.

Can we get some photos maybe? Every EJ engine from factory pulls air from the inner fender, sounds like someones messed about with yours.

Even if they have, I'd just reinstall the factory airbox with the fender snorkus with an OEM or high quality filter. May not look as 'cool' or sound as good but will do a better job and eliminate the chances of FOD like getting water in your intake AND give you colder air intake.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-uNd2z9EKnvs/Toypf4BhbSI/AAAAAAAAAjw/devE_5J17VE/2011-10-05_14-08-12_87.jpg

Im at work right now but follow that link ^ or copy and paste into address bar and youll see what im talking about, there is a black snorkel thing directly behing the light and that is where the air is being sucked into the system from. hopefully you guys can see it

If you don't need/use your A/C, you could remove the compressor and drive belt, hoses, accumulator, condenser, etc. Sometimes people do that to get rid of that extra weight.

Your photo is interesting. You said that is a '96 EJ22? The radiator looks odd, the cap is on the left side? Maybe it was replaced at some point. Also curious, what is that metal thing with the two red hoses/wires kind of below the brake booster hose? Normally that is where the EGR is if the engine has it, just haven't seen that particular thingy before.

Most factory intakes are already tuned to be just about as efficient as possible. The soob intake flows adequately for the amount of air the engine can breathe. Often the factory intakes are tuned to take advantage of Helmholtz resonance.

If you don't need/use your A/C, you could remove the compressor and drive belt, hoses, accumulator, condenser, etc. Sometimes people do that to get rid of that extra weight.

Your photo is interesting. You said that is a '96 EJ22? The radiator looks odd, the cap is on the left side? Maybe it was replaced at some point. Also curious, what is that metal thing with the two red hoses/wires kind of below the brake booster hose? Normally that is where the EGR is if the engine has it, just haven't seen that particular thingy before.

Most factory intakes are already tuned to be just about as efficient as possible. The soob intake flows adequately for the amount of air the engine can breathe. Often the factory intakes are tuned to take advantage of Helmholtz resonance.

+1 on removing weight (mass).

The calculations vary with vehicle weight but, a rule of thumb is; 11 lbs. = 1 hp. and if that is rotating mass, it's even more. do you need a back seat or a spare tire? Some folks even try to use motorcycle/ATV batteries to save weight!

+1 on removing weight (mass).

The calculations vary with vehicle weight but, a rule of thumb is; 11 lbs. = 1 hp. and if that is rotating mass, it's even more. do you need a back seat or a spare tire? Some folks even try to use motorcycle/ATV batteries to save weight!

running the small honda car battery in my XT it's plenty for the car...

I wish they would hurry up and make a tiny car twelve bolt battery

the one in my laptop (while not 12v) is a good example of what i mean.

that sucker lasts for HOURS.