Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing Front Brake Rotor Questions

Ok folks,

Getting ready to replace front brake rotors as they are long overdue for replacement. Will replace the pads (which I've done several times) while I'm at it.

I'm thinking the axle nut may be a be-otch to get off? Do I need a impact wrench? What size is the nut? 99 Impreza Outback Sport..

Steer me in the right direction before I get started as I now live out in the boons and am miles from a parts store.

Thanks,

UMT

The axle nut does not need to be removed. Simply remove the caliper, and pads. Then, remove the two bolts that hold the pads. The rotor are then ready to come off. Thread one of the bolts used to hold on the bracket into the threaded hole of the rotor. Screwing in the bolt, pushes the rotor off the hub. It is real simple to do. I know this works on the front brakes, prolly the same for the rears.

Suggest you lube all bolts and slides with anti-seize to let things come apart easier next time you do brakes. Good Luck!!

Clean an lube!!

I use I beieve PS pump bolts from cars I've sraped to put in the rotors to in essense push them off. They get mushroomed on me so I don't use a bolt that I truely need. I can picture the bolts I use and the threads don't go the whole way to the tip.

If you can't find the taped hole we're talking about you may have really generic rotors on the car.

I've read that the threaded holes are for 8mm bolts.

I pity you guys that have corrosion problems, I just take my rotors right off.

I DO use a wire brush on the surfaces and on the wheels studs - but there's only a little surface rust.

I use this for lubing the sliding parts;

51nzdNAmQ8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yes, I think you are right, the threaded holes are for 8mm bolts. The bolts threaded in the two holes push against the backing plate to move the rotor toward you and off the hub. I have never run into a corrosion problem to have that create any problems.

I pity you guys that have corrosion problems, I just take my rotors right off

Adding insult to injury... :D

My car can use some brake work as well, but I know the moment I'll try to do it I will regret it for a long time...

Just recently a buddy had me help him do brakes on a late 90's saturn. of course he let it get down to the metal first.

I BEAT AND BEAT the rotor with a 3 lb hammer to try to get it off. The rotor was taking dents and flaking away. It did not have the holes to pop it 0ff with a screw. I gave him a torch and some PB blaster and left him to it. It probably would have required an angle grinder and a cold chisel from there.