Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i just bought a 97 legacy and it has some issues the main thing is it stumbles like its running out of gas up to 1800rpm then it runs like a top it just has this issue under 1800. it does get a little better when its warmed up but not much. any thoughts its got me puzzled?

Sound like the timing is off. Pull the belt covers and check the cam sprockets marks with the engine at TDC. This is the one time its ok to use the arrows on the sprockets. They should all point straight up.

Other possibilities are plugs and wires, vacuum leak, or a loose intake tube.

she (the previous owner) had receipts for the coil, plug wires, and plugs from June 2011 that's when she gave up and decided to sell it so they are fairly new. the fuel filter was on my list but haven't made it to the parts store yet.

as for the timing that's what i have kept coming back to i haven't taken the cover off and checked it yet but plan to tomorrow. it just didn't seem to me that the timing could be off mechanically and it run so good above 1800rpm. if the engine isn't warmed up and i try giving it fuel it cuts out and wants to stall.

Edited by shanta74

If it's a 2.5 (you didn't specify) and they installed generic parts store coil and wires funny as it sounds that may well be your problem.

I just had my first 2.2 "jump time" this week. I guessed they forgot to slide the tensioner over before tightening. Pulling both timing covers as you're planning to do will go a long ways on that one.

But - just because somehting had been repaired, doesn't necessarily mean it was done well, or with proper parts. Often it's the chapest or highest margin for the garage.

sorry i knew i forgot something i believe its a 2.2 the 6th vin is a 4 and its a legacy l not a gt. wouldn't it effect the way it runs above 1800 rpm if it was the timing i mean it purrs above 1800 and drives fine. but i will check the timing tomorrow.

she (the previous owner) had receipts for the coil, plug wires, and plugs from June 2011 . . . .

To follow up on what davebugs said--are those receipts from a Subaru dealership or from a chain parts store? Subies can be a bit finicky about plugs and wires!

Incorrect timing can cause some strange problems. I got the timing off by one tooth on one cam on my wagon, and I chased misfires for over a week. It only did it when warm, under about 3500 RPM. When it was cold it was fine, but when it warmed up to a certain point it was like you had flipped a switch and all of a sudden it was running like crap again.

I just had this happen on a 95. I started a thread about it.

Anyways for curiosity's sake see if the prior mechanic slid the tensioner all the way to the left as you're supposed to. I unbolted mine before checking and thinking that may have been the problem because the belt was in good shape yet.

i will check the tensioner put im gonna have to replace the belt anyways cause i found a crack in it about half an inch long and the bearing noise ive been hearing is coming from the tensioner pulley area.

i have another question tho what is the difference with the 97 2.2 engines? alot of the parts ive found say they dont fit a 97?

Also they got rid of the hydraulic lash adjusters after 1996. Around that era, some of the soobs had different part # timing belts depending on whether they had Calif. emissions or not.

You asked about the water pump, I think the biggest difference in that era was whether they had a stamped impeller, or a cast impeller. I think one was dubbed the 'high velocity' pump and might have been for the turbos from 90-94.

Edited by porcupine73
add water pump info