Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 92 Legacy wagon.

when I drive it when shfting from 2nd to third it slips and

the engine reves up then it engages and then it seems fine.

unitll I stop again and it starts all over again.

I just drained all the fluid and put in new dextron fluid and a bottle

of Lucas no slip addative beacuase I just bought the car and did'nt know the history on it and since it was acting up, did'nt really trust what was in there ( never know what some idot owner will put in there. Also it was over filled by several quarts when I first checked it.

When I drained the fluid it let the old fluid sit in the pan to see if there were any contamants in

it and sure enough, there where a few specks of brass in the bottom of the pan.

is this the beginning of the kiss of death for this tranny.

any helpful advise from soob tranny experts is welcome

Thanks

Edited by mwbean

Hm, that almost sounds like a band adjustment to me...

If engine speed increases abruptly on 2-3 shift, or if there is a delay of more than 1 second on a 3-2 kickdown, excessive clearance between reverse clutch drum and band may exist, adjusting screw should be rotated clockwise. If there is a braking action on 2-3 shift, excessive small brake band clearance may exist and adjusting screw should be rotated counterclockwise.

There was an endwrench article for the early 90's 4eats on how to do this, since it is a little tricky to access the adjustment nuts.

sorry it's a 92 Legacy wagon with a 2.2L a 4 speed auotmatic AWD

Hm, that almost sounds like a band adjustment to me...

There was an endwrench article for the early 90's 4eats on how to do this, since it is a little tricky to access the adjustment nuts.

Where can I find that endwrench artilce??

Edited by mwbean

Mwelll...let me see, I can probably attach it: Hm let me try this again, it says 'bad filename', I didn't really see what was so bad about it myself....

http://porcupine73.com/endwrench/4EAT FWD and AWD Brake Band Adjustment 4EATFWD.pdf

The endwrench article tells you how to do it, but not what way to adjust it. Make sure to read a procedure first, because if you turn it too much, the band can fall off the drum, and as they said in Ghostbusters, 'that would be bad, very bad'.

Edited by porcupine73

If engine speed increases abruptly on 2-3 shift, or if there is a delay of more than 1 second on a 3-2 kickdown, excessive clearance between reverse clutch drum and band may exist, adjusting screw should be rotated clockwise. If there is a braking action on 2-3 shift, excessive small brake band clearance may exist and adjusting screw should be rotated counterclockwise.

according to my subaru chilton repair manual 1985-96 sedans/wagons (64302)

it says "if any of the conditions are detected the adjusting screw can be moved 1/4 turn in either direction.

Turn 1/4 turn clockwise if the transaxel

-Jolts when shfting from 1st to 2nd

-engine speed abruptly rises from 2nd to 3rd (my Problem)

- or, shift delays in kickdown from 3rd to 2nd

turn adjusting nut 1/4 turn counter clockwise if

- car slips from 1st to 2nd or

- there is a braking action at shift from 2nd to third.

I know this a little repetive but it calrifys how much to turn the adjusting screw

Edited by mwbean