Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adjusting rear hatch latch ('94 Legacy)

On my '94 Legacy GT wagon, the rear hatch closes and latches fine, but if you pull up on it, it lifts just a touch before the latch stops it. It's not a huge problem, but it's enough that it rattles when you go over bumps.

Does anyone know how to best adjust this? Is it the latch mechanism in the lid that needs to be adjusted, or the metal loop on the bottom? Also, can anyone confirm if this is a single-stage latch (either latched, or not), or a double-stage latch like the doors (where they will stay closed if you gently shut the door, but not be "fully closed" unless you close it harder)?

Thanks

Are the rubber bumper cushions still there?

check for those maybe unscrew them a little to see if it helps.

Yep, the two cone-shaped rubber bumpers on the hatch lid are still there, and I can tell from the dust that they do make contact with the body. They're nice and firm, and don't look squished down at all. They don't appear to unscrew really, that I can tell...

It has two spring-loaded wedge shaped things as well, just up and inward a bit from the tail lights... the one on the right is OK but the spring isn't very strong on the one on the left. Either way, I can't imagine that the two little springs would be enough to keep the hatch lid from bouncing around, even if they were brand new...

I should also add that the hatch appears to be aligned correctly. The body gap is uniform and everything looks right.

ok think i have the answer.

the outside latch handle, under the red reflecter, the handle you pull on to open it, is rusted and sticking, so it is not fully releasing after you pull it.

check that, press the handle back after opening, then close.

refurbish as needed with pb blaster, wd 40, oil etc.

There actually isn't that much rust on the rear hatch... the latch itself and the underside are very clean, and just a touch of rust on the black pieces around the handle. I gave the handle a good look, and it fully returns until it his the rubber stop when you let go of it (you can't push it in any further).

Would I need to pull the interior panels off of the hatch then to check the mechanisms from the back?

Ok, so I got this project finished up today. icon14.gif

To answer my own questions, and for anyone else wondering:

YES, the hatch latch IS a two-stage latch,

YES, the bottom striker is adjustable, and

YES, the latch on the lid is adjustable. ;)

I used a screwdriver to flip the latch mechanism a few times, and could definitely tell that it was a two-stage latch. So once that was established, I then knew for sure that the latch wasn't at fault, but the adjustment was.

So I adjusted the striker plate, and moved it all the way forward (toward the front of the car), which helped, but it was still loose. I then loosened the latch itself in the lid, and found that it could move "up" (toward the rear of the car when closed) just a touch as well. I'm pretty sure that the striker plate was intended to be the main adjustable piece, and there are alignment marks stamped into it, but regardless, I got just a touch of adjustment out of the latch mounting too.

But that still wasn't enough.

I couldn't find anything else that was adjustable, and the hatch gap looked correct up at the hinges, so... time to get creative. zzz

With the help of a round file, I ovaled out the two holes in the striker plate just a touch.

picture.php?albumid=307&pictureid=3430

picture.php?albumid=307&pictureid=3431

... and that did the trick!

The hatch now closes completely, and doesn't rattle anymore. Problem solved! :banana:

• 4 years later...

I know it's an old post but I have the same problem with my 99 legacy outback. Is it the Same mechanism as your 94? From what I have read it is the same, but after a quick look i didn't see any screws to adjust the striker in the bottom. Do you have to take off the plastic panels around it? I did notice that the spring loaded rubber stop on the drivers side is really rusty and doesn't slide as easily as the other one. But it does extend all the way out.