Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Difficulty in replacing an '87 GL windshield?

Just curious if anyone has done this before by themselves? I found a local junkyard that has one removed already for $50. They said its a fairly simple job to replace, you just need the urethane sealant/concrete stuff to hold it in.

Does anyone have advice for this? I beleive i priced a pro job at over $300 so if i can do a sub $100 total job and have it work the same i will.

Its a pita to do by yourself. You cant just pick some urethane off the shelf to use either, its got to be the right stuff. Better off getting the used one and having a shop replace it if you want to save money and have it done right. They will not guarantee it seeing how its used glass, but its a lot cheaper than buying new glass.

And $300 is a little high, it should be around $200.

hire a glass man on his own time. 300 bucks would reflect the shop provding the glass.

the labor to install could be within 100 bucks. suppose you can knock out the old windshield yourself, and pay the glass man to clean up the surfaces and seal in the new windshield.

an experienced glass man can do the job in 20 min

Yeah make arrangement once you have the glass in your hands. Tell the guy you'll have the old glass out and like Miles said but maybe go the whole way since its just using a scraper and being careful to remove all the trim first. You've got a spot of rust on one of those legs , don't you? I seem to remember one little spot happening. You want to get that nice and flat. Little topcoat and a sanding block. So maybe even get that glass out the day before and make sure the windshield's seat will be clean and flat with no rust bubbles ,etc.

Things you do to save dough. Good luck.

Oh , there's cut resistant gloves out there , worth the investment for all sorts of use.

Are you in Danville Va? If you are, ride up to Richmond one afternoon and we can install it together. It really isn't that difficult. You just need the right tools and the correct urethane. Call me if you want me to help you

804-393-0516

Mike

I've priced out windshields for many cars at $130 to $180 installed locally. On my own GLW they quoted me around $140, however it had a lot of rust around the bottom so they didn't want to touch it.

If you're on a super tight budget, I'd say research the urethane to use and try it. Otherwise I'd say spend the $150-200 and have someone do it right.

And remember, junkyard glass is probably already pitted to hell, whereas new glass will be nice and clear. Very important when driving at night.

Also, many insurance companies these days have a $50 glass deductible if you have comprehensive. I run with comp/coll at a $100 deductable on all my cars, mainly cause there's a lot of gravel around here that likes to ding up paint and windshields, and the premiums aren't that much more than if I just ran with liability. You might wanna research what rates are like for you, and if you do get better insurance, wait a few months, then file a windshield claim. Yes, I know, it's not totally ethical, but neither are insurance companies.

Yea Im in PA.

If anyone is localish and has the knowledge on how to do this Id gladly pay you. The car is actually for sale but if i can get the windshield fixed for a decent price im sure it would sell faster as i could get it inspected.