Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil pressure sending unit for gauge

The sending unit for the factory stock oil pressure gauge went bad:

th_100_1741.jpg

Is there one that's better then another or is it something that should come from a dealer? Or can I stop off at my local auto parts store and pick up something aftermarket that will work?

I'm thinking that something from the auto parts store would work just fine, but like the cooling system thermostat that should only come from the dealer, I thought I'd ask first.

Stuart

The sending unit for the factory stock oil pressure gauge went bad:

th_100_1741.jpg

Is there one that's better then another or is it something that should come from a dealer? Or can I stop off at my local auto parts store and pick up something aftermarket that will work?

I'm thinking that something from the auto parts store would work just fine, but like the cooling system thermostat that should only come from the dealer, I thought I'd ask first.

Stuart

dunno about soobs, but from experiences with a Mitsubishi and a Toyota, don't buy any aftermarket that has a smaller hole in it than stock - bigger OK, just not smaller. And be VERY careful to wipe things off in that area and don't let any debris get in when you re-install the new sender. They can read weird if debris gets in the hole.

Get one from Discount Import Parts. Aftermarket is a relative term..... there's quality (often from the OEM manufacturer but rebranded) and there's junk out there. DIP sells very good quality parts. Check with them and if they can get one I would go with them.

Junk yard (used) could be an option but these often leak at the bottom screw where the wire attaches and they tend to be something that gets changed once or twice in the life of the car due to reading low or high or not at all.

GD

• 1 year later...