Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ-22 idles low, after warm up

My recently transplanted EJ-22 in my 98 OBW idles low after warm up. It idles at not much more then 500 rpm. It doesn't stall, but the low idle makes for vibration, while waiting for a traffic light to change. Can this be corrected by using Sea-foam in the engine to clean out deposits? Any thing else that can be addressed to improve the idle?

Thanks!

Edited by Rooster2
add more info

Was the 95 ej22 a single or dual exhaust port motor? I'm assuming the ej22 in your 98 was a single exhaust port motor? Is your 98 an AT or MT, and did the 95 engine come out of an AT or MT?

There were some differences between the MT & AT. I believe certain AT motors had EGR.

Assuming the idle is good, you can probably just rotate the electro magnet portion on top of the IAC valve to bump the idle a tad. It's not something I usually recommend, but if everything else is good, I'm not sure there's going to be another option.

Was the 95 ej22 a single or dual exhaust port motor? I'm assuming the ej22 in your 98 was a single exhaust port motor? Is your 98 an AT or MT, and did the 95 engine come out of an AT or MT?

There were some differences between the MT & AT. I believe certain AT motors had EGR.

Assuming the idle is good, you can probably just rotate the electro magnet portion on top of the IAC valve to bump the idle a tad. It's not something I usually recommend, but if everything else is good, I'm not sure there's going to be another option.

My 98 had the 2.5 w/AT. Transplanted 95 with 2.2 came out of a car with AT, so no issue with EGR kicking on a CEL.

Can you describe where to find the IAC valve? I am not familiar with that valve, or even where to look for it under the hood. I guess when I find it, it will be evident what to rotate.

Look for a pic of one or PM me an email and I can send you a pic. I sell these from time to time.

Basically under #3 intake you can see it looking from firewall easiest. By bending over the Pass side strut tower. If you don't know what you'r elooking for you'll need to remove the air boxes, etc to get a good view.

I sell used ones if you need one - infact a member bought one last week.

Look for a pic of one or PM me an email and I can send you a pic. I sell these from time to time.

Basically under #3 intake you can see it looking from firewall easiest. By bending over the Pass side strut tower. If you don't know what you'r elooking for you'll need to remove the air boxes, etc to get a good view.

I sell used ones if you need one - infact a member bought one last week.

Thanks, I will take a look tomorrow.

The thing right in the middle of this pic is the IAC valve. You can see the main metal body and the electro magnet portion on top of it. The electro magnet portion is held down by two screws and allows you to rotate it. By doing this you're changing the "default" position of the valve, and that may help your idle.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru/images/injectors/DCP_2470.JPG

While you're in there consider removing the IACV from the car and giving the innards a thorough cleaning. One air hose, 2 small coolant hoses and 3 bolts is all it takes. Also clean any gunk out of the air hose, maybe replace the PCV too. It should have a new gasket when you put it back in.

Good luck.

While you're in there consider removing the IACV from the car and giving the innards a thorough cleaning. One air hose, 2 small coolant hoses and 3 bolts is all it takes. Also clean any gunk out of the air hose, maybe replace the PCV too. It should have a new gasket when you put it back in.

Good luck.

Good ideas, wish we had some of your Hawaiian weather in Indiana right now. It would make it a lot easier doing this work.