Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New fuel pump in 96 legacy -- amazing pricing diffs!

The fuel pump in my 1996 Legacy wagon finally went out at the ripe old age of 225k miles. I opted for a dealer pump based on previous threads on USMB instead of an aftermarket.

So, why the post? Pricing!

The dealer only offers the whole assembly (not just the pump, unfortunately), but I can live with that. I called my local dealer and they wanted $509.00 plus tax. Compare and contrast: on 1stsubaruparts.com, it was $287 plus shipping -- a wee bit over $300.00 delivered.

So... all I'm saying is DANG, that's a big difference! Assuming it's the right part, etc. I'm going to be doing a lot more parts buying over the Internet!

On a side note, as per previous threads on USMB, it's better to replace your fuel pump early than have it die on the road (should have followed my own advice on this one!).

-Ben

The fuel pump in my 1996 Legacy wagon finally went out at the ripe old age of 225k miles. I opted for a dealer pump based on previous threads on USMB instead of an aftermarket.

So, why the post? Pricing!

The dealer only offers the whole assembly (not just the pump, unfortunately), but I can live with that. I called my local dealer and they wanted $509.00 plus tax. Compare and contrast: on 1stsubaruparts.com, it was $287 plus shipping -- a wee bit over $300.00 delivered.

So... all I'm saying is DANG, that's a big difference! Assuming it's the right part, etc. I'm going to be doing a lot more parts buying over the Internet!

On a side note, as per previous threads on USMB, it's better to replace your fuel pump early than have it die on the road (should have followed my own advice on this one!).

-Ben

I have had some luck challenging a local dealer with online prices, got them to match, and 'almost' match in 2 instances.

But, yeah, not uncommon for some dealers to mark-up dramatically I guess.

Advance auto has an Airtex fuel pump assembly for $328.99. Check online for "advance auto discount codes" and you can save $30-$50 at times. The code i have is DE30, it takes $30 off a $150 order and you get $50 off your next $100 or more online purchase.

Shipping is free for big $ orders, or you can buy online and pickup in the store.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Fuel-Pump-Sender-Assembly-Airtex_20771285-P_52_R%7CGRPFUE2AMS_____#fragment-1

The quality is good as far as I can tell, I have an Airtex pump in my pickup and it's running....

Advance has just the pump for even less, and with a code it will be a great deal.

More amazzing than you think.

Looks like they go as low as $10 for a new one w/strainer on ebay!!

I wouldn`t hesistate to use one if I could afford to wait for delivery.

I run a bottom dollar ebay pump in a different application currently.