Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil pump ball and spring

if it just fell out then it's probably broken and you need a new oil pump unless you dare try to repair it.

the spring and ball should not come out of the opening it sits inside of in the oil pump. i've seen the lips of that opening crack and allow the spring and ball to come out. you didn't say you attempted to disassemble, just that it "fell out" that implies to me that this is what happened.

ironically i saw that only on a brand new pump that had very low miles on it.

you'd have to repair that for it to retain the ball and spring again. probably simpler to replace but i suppose you could try welding a washer or bead around it to repair....just don't weld the ball in place and be careful as all that heat will probably easily warp the thin oil pump housing structure - making sealing the mickey mouse gasket which is already problematic not any easier.

this reminds me of servicing an ea82 that had a nasty bottom end nise, and bad head gaskets. I pulled the pil pump, and the ball was missing, so was the inner seal. so was one of the mounting bolts. and this car ran, and not too bad, considering the heads were on backwards. a monkey could build an ea82 and it would run enough to drive.

just source a used oil pump. any one will be good if it is complete, and hasnt been run out of oil.

this reminds me of servicing an ea82 that had a nasty bottom end nise, and bad head gaskets. I pulled the pil pump, and the ball was missing, so was the inner seal. so was one of the mounting bolts. and this car ran, and not too bad, considering the heads were on backwards. a monkey could build an ea82 and it would run enough to drive.

just source a used oil pump. any one will be good if it is complete, and hasnt been run out of oil.

the whole reason i pulled it in the first place was to change the gsket and seal, cuz it was leakin like a size between the plate and the pump. gasket was fine, seal was in good shape...stumped

i figured out the ball deal though. it wouldnt make much sense to have the ball IN the spring, it wouldnt function to open the valve then.. not the best design though. i could see the spring getting worn and the ball would fall easily into the filter area.

what do you think about a gasket between the plate and pump, along with the gasket between the plate and engine

if it just fell out then it's probably broken and you need a new oil pump unless you dare try to repair it.

the spring and ball should not come out of the opening it sits inside of in the oil pump. i've seen the lips of that opening crack and allow the spring and ball to come out. you didn't say you attempted to disassemble, just that it "fell out" that implies to me that this is what happened.

ironically i saw that only on a brand new pump that had very low miles on it.

you'd have to repair that for it to retain the ball and spring again. probably simpler to replace but i suppose you could try welding a washer or bead around it to repair....just don't weld the ball in place and be careful as all that heat will probably easily warp the thin oil pump housing structure - making sealing the mickey mouse gasket which is already problematic not any easier.

man i wish i wouldve posted pics. but on my oil pump, there was a...plasstic, or hardened rubber D shaped ring that sat perfectly over top of the spring on the pump,holding it in place, now what i was thinking, hot temps..hardened rubber d-ring, when i pulled the plate from the pump that d-ring that held the spring in place, stuck to the back of my plate and whalla! what im leaning towards is another gasket between the pump and plate. this oil leak is rediculous.

and do u know how much of a pain in the arse it is to get to that top drivers side bolt on the oil pump!!! had to but a 10mm ratchet wrench just for it and make 1/8 turn increments.. not a fun night

Throw the pump away. It's garbage. Go to the dealer and get a new one.

GD

agreed, or post pictures. your descriptions sound way worse than how you seem to be interpreting the situation so i'm confused.

if the spring and ball came out via the engine side of the pump then something is seriously wrong, this isn't just a simple gasket thing or tweak or alignment - something has failed unless i'm missing something.