Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 cam gear replacement

Heres how mine looked going back together:

269549_254174834599745_100000216909175_1254057_3900362_n.jpg

283169_254174851266410_100000216909175_1254058_3778070_n.jpg

It appears that the block will have to be split to get it off, the flywheel attatchment on the crank is in the way of the cam gear slipping off the cam. Plus it will be easier to get the cam gear off outside the engine. Although the Flywheel connector on the crank may be able to come off... not sure, I never attempted to take it off.

• 3 weeks later...

Id ask Ken or somebody at Delta Cam I bet they have to take them off to do the cam job. I have tried pressing them off and they don't like to come off. If you could break the old one off in pieces and order a new one I bet that would work fine.

my extra ea81 cam sitting here, looks like there is a dowel from the front driven into the shaft, and that dowel look removable, from the front of it. so i would say it is possible.

in fact, yes it is doable from what i know about dowel pins, and cotter pinch joints.

It is a swedge joint from my look, so you have to grabe and hold the stopper, while to press and pull the gear off the cam

Edited by bheinen74