Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Somebody with VLSD knowledge, take a look!

A few years back I found a 91 turbo legacy in the junkyard with only 60k on the odometer. I looked under the rear end, the vlsd was still there but missing a stub axel. I opened the trunk, and low and behold it was there. I don't know if somebody removed it so others wouldn't take the diff before they could get to it or what, but I took the diff and the stub. Now it's years later, and I want to use it. Here is a pic of the stub:

IMG_1390.jpg

It has a ring clip on the diff side, visable in the pic. How do you put this back together, am I missing anything, etc?

Years ago I downloaded an exploded view of a VLSD but since lost the file. anyone?

Why does the ring clip stay in the diff in the pics in the link and in my pic it stayed on the stub?

bork- VLSD stand for viscous limited slip differential. The nifty thing about a vlsd is where a normal rear differential will supply power to whichever wheel offers the least resistance (ie the wheel that spins on ice), the vlsd transfers the power "from the wheel that slips to the wheel that grips".

It is a reverse snap ring. It is designed to have a little movement smaller to the axle stub shaft when you pop it into the carrier.

Think of it this way, Think just a regular snap ring that you spread and put over a shaft.

This one, the snap ring compresses smaller while it is inserted into the diff carrier, then it spreads back once in place at that lock it in. It has outward pressure ....

It is a reverse snap ring. It is designed to have a little movement smaller to the axle stub shaft when you pop it into the carrier.

Think of it this way, Think just a regular snap ring that you spread and put over a shaft.

This one, the snap ring compresses smaller while it is inserted into the diff carrier, then it spreads back once in place at that lock it in. It has outward pressure ....

I asked why would it be left in the diff in one circumstance and on the stub in another.

I have read, and re-read, and reread again the first post for your question, and did not see that part..

Actually the post more was like i found this, and now what? not asking a specific question.

So you found this lsd fiff in the car, then found the stub in the trunk, then ????/

please be more clear i am sorry i cannot tell you more yet.

I have read, and re-read, and reread again the first post for your question, and did not see that part..

Actually the post more was like i found this, and now what? not asking a specific question.

So you found this lsd fiff in the car, then found the stub in the trunk, then ????/

please be more clear i am sorry i cannot tell you more yet.

woops. I was referring to the rest of the post I guess. which you didn't read I guess.

thank you, Aren't all sub diffs this way?

someone may know for certain - but they may have switched from the style with the spring pin holding the axle on sometime around 2005(maybe started with the STI on 04 ?). I dunno about 'older generations'. The axles on the bottom of this pic seem to be 'new' style if you look at the far end - with the splines built on. The top ones are like my wife's 03 Outback. A spring pin holds them onto stub axles that stay inside the diff. I guess they've been built that way for decades. No fluid loss when changing axles. Dunno why they changed.

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I think he meant aren't all soobies limited slip. No they are not. it was a very rare extra on old school cars. I don't know the new school stuff as well, but ther is plenty of info on the boards you can search LSD and VLSD

duh - guess I got off topic!

my wife's 03 OBW will definitely move rear wheels in the same direction if you spin one side.

re there ways to tell from VIN numbers or markings on the diff if they are LSD?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Why does the ring clip stay in the diff in the pics in the link and in my pic it stayed on the stub?

To answer your question - they are different clip designs. The older style like your '91 VLSD stub axle used to be very common on almost every front wheel drive half-shaft (holds the axle into the transmission) but there have been problems with axle rebuilders and with installers not getting the clip centered or spreading the clip open too much prior to inserting it into the transmission/diff. Having the clip as a permanent part of the transmission or diff makes that problem go away and all axles fit easily and don't hang up on poorly installed clips. It just takes a lot of variability out of the equation by having the clip on the female side. It also can't get lost that way.

Those pictures are of an STi axle - which fits only the R180 rear diff. They are not at all applicable to most Subaru's.

Incidentally - VLSD's have a lifespan of about 50k miles. They lose most of their effectiveness as LSD's after approximately that long. Their sealed viscous disc pack is not serviceable or rebuildable like the clutch types and when they are worn out they are basically open diffs for the purposes of driving. Yes they will still lock enough to turn the wheels the same direction with a simple test of turning them by hand. But in actual driving they really don't do much unless they are new. Used - they are mostly just expensive open diffs that give people bragging rights but don't actually do much of anything useful. My '91 SS has it's factory VLSD still in place. At 176k on the body - I can't even tell it has an LSD.

GD

Incidentally - VLSD's have a lifespan of about 50k miles. They lose most of their effectiveness as LSD's after approximately that long. Their sealed viscous disc pack is not serviceable or rebuildable like the clutch types and when they are worn out they are basically open diffs for the purposes of driving. Yes they will still lock enough to turn the wheels the same direction with a simple test of turning them by hand. But in actual driving they really don't do much unless they are new. Used - they are mostly just expensive open diffs that give people bragging rights but don't actually do much of anything useful. My '91 SS has it's factory VLSD still in place. At 176k on the body - I can't even tell it has an LSD.

GD

Well that sucks. I'll install it and see what it does on ice.

Tex- all the ones I've seen have stickers that say VLSD or LSD for the clutch type. Like I said though, I am not familiar with the new school.

To answer your question - they are different clip designs. The older style like your '91 VLSD stub axle used to be very common on almost every front wheel drive half-shaft (holds the axle into the transmission) but there have been problems with axle rebuilders and with installers not getting the clip centered or spreading the clip open too much prior to inserting it into the transmission/diff. Having the clip as a permanent part of the transmission or diff makes that problem go away and all axles fit easily and don't hang up on poorly installed clips. It just takes a lot of variability out of the equation by having the clip on the female side. It also can't get lost that way.

Those pictures are of an STi axle - which fits only the R180 rear diff. They are not at all applicable to most Subaru's.

GD

I was surprised my wife's outback behaved like it did, I'd expect a lot of slippage to be required to lock up a viscous pack. Seems backwards that is could work up on a jack, then fail if 'real' slippage occurs. Does the fluid degrade or what?

I was surprised my wife's outback behaved like it did, I'd expect a lot of slippage to be required to lock up a viscous pack. Seems backwards that is could work up on a jack, then fail if 'real' slippage occurs. Does the fluid degrade or what?

The fluid is in constant "sheer" by the plates. Every time the vehicle turns the wheels are forced to rotate at different speeds and that degrades and heat cycles the fluid inside. You have to understand the different forces involved between rotating the wheels by hand and them being driven by the car's engine and weight. You would need to rig up a torque wrench on one of the stubs to see what the break-away torque was, and then start spinning it faster to see what, if any, changes the heating of the fluid created in the amount of torque required to keep the discs in sheer. In practice no one ever does this and just assumes that LSD's and VLSD's work and last forever. Like all mechanical devices they do not. The clutch types can be rebuilt and also tuned by the amount of preload you put on the clutch pack. The VLSD's have no such ability. Once they start loosing their ability to lock-up they never get it back.

GD

The fluid is in constant "sheer" by the plates. Every time the vehicle turns the wheels are forced to rotate at different speeds and that degrades and heat cycles the fluid inside. You have to understand the different forces involved between rotating the wheels by hand and them being driven by the car's engine and weight. You would need to rig up a torque wrench on one of the stubs to see what the break-away torque was, and then start spinning it faster to see what, if any, changes the heating of the fluid created in the amount of torque required to keep the discs in sheer. In practice no one ever does this and just assumes that LSD's and VLSD's work and last forever. Like all mechanical devices they do not. The clutch types can be rebuilt and also tuned by the amount of preload you put on the clutch pack. The VLSD's have no such ability. Once they start loosing their ability to lock-up they never get it back.

GD

You'd think they would make that fluid replaceable. I could understand it being a 'throw-away' deal if the plates or something wore out or deformed, etc. But just for the lack of some fluid? weird.

You'd think they would make that fluid replaceable. I could understand it being a 'throw-away' deal if the plates or something wore out or deformed, etc. But just for the lack of some fluid? weird.

Yeah - the unit itself is tiny (like maybe 3" in diameter) and is all welded together with the fluid inside. Very similar to the 5MT center VC's.

GD