Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just a story about how nice scoobies are..

so we went out today to get a christmas tree.. up in the mountains 65 miles from home.. in a foot of snow.. after a couple hours of driving through the snow lookin for a tree.. we come across an old quarry.. i decided it would be fun to burn a donut in the powder..

i burned the donut, and shredded the cv axle outer cage on the pass side. bearings and all went flying out.. the boot was already ripped and an original axle with 103k on it, it was bound to go anyways i'm sure..

so the car was stuck at that point, got it pulled out to the main road.. drove it home 65 miles after we drove another 30 min or so to get our tree..

it rattles horribly, there is nothing left of it.. it just spins in the cup, lol.. i woulda pulled it off completely but i didn't have anything to punch the pin our with.

first and second gear, the center diff doesn't like it.. once your in 3rd or higher the center diff doesn't slip and the car drive like normal.. luckliy it was mostly freway to get home so 65 miles at 65 miles an hour with the cruise control set and a dead front axle..

tough scoobies :) love'em (its parked until i get a new axle tho, not trying to burn it up) least it got all 5 of us home:)

You will most likely have torque bind now when you drive in a circle after you fix your axle. The only way to fix it will be to replace the center diff.

It locked up and drove fine 65 the whole way home because the viscous coupler over heated so bad the plates inside it warped to the point they jammed together. They don't un-warp after that.

Similar story...........my 99 OBW last Sprint drove just fine in the city, but on the highway, the steering was squirley. Any bump or deviation in the road way would make the car dart slightly to one side or the other. I had to slow down to about 50 mph to stay in my lane, and drove it that way for 125 miles to get it home.

At my mechanic's shop, the trouble was easy to diagnose. The right front drive shaft had sheared off about three inches from the end at the road wheel end. I never knew a half shaft could break like that into two pieces. It didn't make any weird noises at all. Replace the half shaft, and all is well. No problem with torque bind.

just a follow up, put a reman axle in it this morning, went for a drive, made a few circles in both directions in the walmart parking lot with the studded snow tires on, absolutely no torque bind at all... :banana:

Sounds like you got fortunate. I assume you replaced the wheel bearing as well.