Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 legacy wagon ej22

ok so my question is this.

what should my voltmeter read when idling with no accessories running? and what about with engine sittin @ 2k rpm.

voltage doesnt change for anything except when load is applied then it drops.

heres what i know:

it usually reads about 13.2

cooling fans on with H/L on: 12.4

headlights on: about 13.1

blower on full blast with H/L on : 12.5

with brakes on n H/L on with turn signal going :11.8-12.2 (goes up when blinker clicks off but down again when the light clicks back on)

i also stress tested it with my stereo LOUD, H/L on, brakes held, blower on high, and blinker on. n got around 11.3

had the alternator bench tested and put out 100a faithfully

also i have 2 batteries on an isolator BUT it was like this before i did that.

i have sanded down all the grounds i could find under the hood to bare metal.

i have also done "the big 3" (8 awg from neg. battery terminal to body, 8awg wire from body to engine block, and 8 awg from alt charging post to isolator)

any thoughts? i know there is going to be a lower voltage on the front battery from resistance but i have never ever seen above 13.4-13.5 from this car. even with the rpm @ about 2k.

thanks guys!

-jarrid

i have never ever seen above 13.4-13.5 from this car.

How much would you like to see? I haven't seen above that on any of my soobs either (except on my '00obw when something went bad in the alt and I was getting 16 volts out).

Your loaded tests seem about like what I see. I notice when loaded hard the voltage will slowly dip, like 12.4 then after a few seconds 12.3 and so on. I imagine it dips as the battery discharges and the current drawn by everything running drops to what the alt is putting out.

well thats the thing....i have 14.3v on the back battery but only 13.6 @ highest on the front battery..... btw the battery boiled over once and i filled it the next day with bottled water n ran it.....didnt think it damaged it because it still charges the same and sits @ the same voltage and holds voltage when the car isnt running pretty well