Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hitachi re-jet...

Hey all,

Now that I'm driving my Hitachi-carbureted EA82 at 8,500 feet above sea level most of the time, I've been advised to switch to a Weber. Unfortunately, I don't have the money for a Weber. What I DO have is an extra Hitachi that works pretty well. Is there anywhere I can pick up high altitude jets for an old Hitachi? I've looked around, but can only seem to find standard rebuild kits.

I'm worried that I'll gum up my catalytic converters with the extra rich mixture (although it might be a little leaner since I've been running a straight through glasspack muffler).

Thanks,

Ben

Hey all,

Now that I'm driving my Hitachi-carbureted EA82 at 8,500 feet above sea level most of the time, I've been advised to switch to a Weber. Unfortunately, I don't have the money for a Weber. What I DO have is an extra Hitachi that works pretty well. Is there anywhere I can pick up high altitude jets for an old Hitachi? I've looked around, but can only seem to find standard rebuild kits.

I'm worried that I'll gum up my catalytic converters with the extra rich mixture (although it might be a little leaner since I've been running a straight through glasspack muffler).

Thanks,

Ben

Ben,

What you might do is find some Hitachi jets from a smaller carb, ie EA 81, 71 etc if you can find someone that would part one out.

The Hitachi, Weber, and others share a lot of the same threads on these but the seating can be different. I'm not sure what's what right now...

For instance, I read and confirmed where the Hitachi/Weber powervalves share the same threads, but the seating is different.

Wish I knew more right now about this, what jets fit what.

Good luck, I think those smaller Hitachi jets will work for you if you can find some.

Doug

Remove the primary and main jets from the carb. Get a set of pin drills and determine the current size of the jet. Write it down. Using silver solder and a small butane torch, solder the single hole (top or bottom) closed. Redrill the solder with the pin drill starting at .010" SMALLER than the original measurement. reassemble and drive making sure you have new plugs in so you can see the color after the drive. Also make sure to load it good (floored up a big hill or drive floored with the brake on a few times) to make sure you get a good color reading. Also listen for pinging. Any pinging, too lean. Remove the jet and redrill one size larger. The color on the plugs should be a nice tan. Anything lighter than tan is too lean. it's a pain, but it works.