Ultimate Subaru Message Board

run AWD with 2 different wheel types??

ok, I have a "leaky" wheel/tire - slow leak over the course of a few days...

this has been an issue with this car from the day I got it (came with alloys)...

so the question is: will it make a difference if I run 2 alloys and 2 steelies?? as long as the tires are the same circumference, it shouldnt matter, should it?

and where should i run them? same side? or same axle? or does it really matter?

the other half's now retired sedan has steelies on it - same exact tire that I am running, and very close to the same mileage on said tires - one of his also has a slow leak - altho much slower than mine is - so would be kind of pointless to change them all...and I would take a measurement to be sure they are within the recommended circumference before actually putting them on the car...

i am just so tired of futzing with this stupid leak every few days - have to warm up the compressor (it will pop a breaker if I dont in the cold weather) then air up the tire before i can go anywhere :rolleyes:

Dont really care how it looks - just tired of the low tire issue... :mad:

ok, I have a "leaky" wheel/tire - slow leak over the course of a few days...

this has been an issue with this car from the day I got it (came with alloys)...

so the question is: will it make a difference if I run 2 alloys and 2 steelies?? as long as the tires are the same circumference, it shouldnt matter, should it?

and where should i run them? same side? or same axle? or does it really matter?

the other half's now retired sedan has steelies on it - same exact tire that I am running, and very close to the same mileage on said tires - one of his also has a slow leak - altho much slower than mine is - so would be kind of pointless to change them all...and I would take a measurement to be sure they are within the recommended circumference before actually putting them on the car...

i am just so tired of futzing with this stupid leak every few days - have to warm up the compressor (it will pop a breaker if I dont in the cold weather) then air up the tire before i can go anywhere :rolleyes:

Dont really care how it looks - just tired of the low tire issue... :mad:

doesn't matter to the center diff as long as the rolling circumference is very close (1/4" or so)

If the weight of the wheels is much different, you may 'feel' some subtle difference in acceleration or handling - but I doubt it, still OK on the AWD system.

Have you tried that 'green slime' stuff or a can of FIX-A-FLAT?

doesn't matter to the center diff as long as the rolling circumference is very close (1/4" or so)

If the weight of the wheels is much different, you may 'feel' some subtle difference in acceleration or handling - but I doubt it, still OK on the AWD system.

Have you tried that 'green slime' stuff or a can of FIX-A-FLAT?

I have used both green slime and fix-a-flat to seal a leak. Sometimes it works, but use both products sparingly. If you use a lot, you tire/wheel will go out of balance.

Usually, the leak with an alloy wheel is at the tire bead. This can be fixed by going to a tire store, take the tire off the rim, then sand down or clean off the corrosion that forms. There is also some black goopie stuff that can be applied to the edge of the rim, that will help the tire seal good against the rim.

yes, i have tried the 'fix-a-flat' stuff - which can actually damage alloy wheels, btw - the slime stuff around here is rather expensive, so no, have not tried that.

Have had the wheels cleaned up in the past, new valve stems, etc - makes no difference. In fact, the guy did a thourough clean of the wheel's mating surfaces before installing this set of tires, still have a leaking issue - the wheel itself has become pourous - probably from too many applications of fix-a-flat or some such similar product... :-\

Thanks for the replies guys...I will be checking the circumference before actually putting them on the car...but nice to know that the wheel type shouldnt really matter.

As i posted o your question at dirty impreza, if in doubt, mount them diagonally, as long as the pair are the same size, as any difference in rotation will be dispeled through the open front and rear diffs. Just thought i would answer it here to get some input from the other guys.

That'll work. As long as your tires are the same circumference it doesn't matter what kind of wheel they're mounted on.

Honestly though, I'd just go buy a full set of steelies from a junkyard and have all the tires swapped over. Pop some hub caps on. No more problems. :D

have a couple sets of steelies around, just too darn lazy to go pull them off the parts cars right now :lol:

and more than likely the slow leak on the one steelie is probably the stupid valve stem - I'm just lazy enough not to mess with it when it is only about 20* outside...

i figured to just swap out the non-leakers for the leakers and be done for a few months - at least until it warms up again. :o

and hubcaps?? who needs hubcaps??? :Flame:

ah, good point John - but if that is a factor it will show up with the circumference measurements.

not gonna do it if there is a bigger than 1/4" difference.

If it comes down to it, I will see about getting the leaky steelie fixed & run all 4 of those before i spend any more time & effort on the darn alloys.