Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1994 Subaru Impreza door ajar light

Door ajar light is staying on and draining battery, I charged the battery but need to locate problem so this does not happen again. I have pulled the battery cable until I can figure out what the problem is. I believe there must be a switch either in the door or the engine compartment that is bad but do not know where it is on the car so I can replace it.

More then likley one of the door switches. The switch would be in the door jam, does your car have the little screen letting you know what door is open, then you would be able to replace the correct the switch. If not your going to have to test the switches one at a time until you witch one is causing the issue could be the rear hatch or trunk also

Thanks for your reply, after asking the question, went out for a closer look, found the switch on the door frame, worked it a couple of times and the light went off. Hooked the battery back up and the Subaru is race ready again!!! I will check the other door switches and get new ones of needed. Thanks though for your answer.

The problem continued when checking on it last night, yes it was on again So, I took the rubber grommet off that covers the exterior of the switch and turned it upside down. This provided more pressure between the door and the switch and it went back out again. I am going to just get another door switch tomorrow and get a extra as they are not expensive and keep it in the glove box with the extra fuses and bulbs I carry. If one is going bad the probability of another is probably in the future so will have it on hand and take care of it. Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.