Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can I use a 90-98 Longblock?

96LegacyEJ22

The girlfriends 92 Legacy N/A EJ22 decided to pop headgaskets. It's at 205k. So I want to just swap a lower mileage motor in.

Can I use any 90-98 EJ22 Long block and reuse the sensors and Intake Manifold from her current engine?

I know the newer Ej22's have the EGR port on the heads (I believe?) so I would just block it off.

96+ engines are single-port exhaust so you would have to source a single port exhaust header (harder than it sounds because of no aftermarket for them). The EGR port is only on 95+ automatics but is easy to block off as you noted.

Other than that you can use any 90 to 98 long-block. 99 to 01 EJ22's are phase-II engines and are not compatible.

205k is not that high. If it ran fine otherwise and oil consumption wasn't bad - I would just do the HG's and drive it another 150k. Too big of a gamble with a used engine if you have a known good one that just needs HG's. It's only about $100 to replace them.

You are near me it looks like - if you need/want assistance or to just drop it off and have it done right - I have a warm garage with a car lift and engine hoist. I can easily do HG's and have it up and running again in one day.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

It's only about $100 to replace them.

GD

That's a wee bit of a lowball estimate.

A good headset (stone, or OE) is $150-200.

And we all know there's no point doing HG's without a new T-belt, waterpump, and an oil pump reseal.

It's also a good idea to get heads surfaced, although with a 2.2, not as critical as a 2.5

That said, I totally agree that re-sealing a running engine is a better bet that throwing it out for an unknown gamble, that could need HG's with-in a year. It certainly wouldn't be any more expensive than a "low miles" 2.2

That's a wee bit of a lowball estimate.

A good headset (stone, or OE) is $150-200.

And we all know there's no point doing HG's without a new T-belt, waterpump, and an oil pump reseal.

It's also a good idea to get heads surfaced, although with a 2.2, not as critical as a 2.5

That said, I totally agree that re-sealing a running engine is a better bet that throwing it out for an unknown gamble, that could need HG's with-in a year. It certainly wouldn't be any more expensive than a "low miles" 2.2

I get discounts at the local Subaru dealership near me. HG's are 38 a piece for OEM. Cam seals are $4 and some change. Ebay timing belt kit with water pump is around $116.

So I won't be into it all that much.

Been talking to GD lately but he seems to be a fairly busy person. He is going to be doing most of the work for me in a couple weeks. Here is my current list.

This is my list so far. I probably missed something.

OEM Parts:

Head Gaskets

Cam Seals Front (and rear?)

Intake Manifold Gaskets

Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

Thermostat + Gasket

Other Parts:

Fel Pro Vavle Cover Gaskets

Ebay Timing Belt Kit (Mizumoauto)

220 Cams

Grimmspeed Phenolic Spacers (8mm)

NGX Plugs and Wires

I believe the EGR tube is only on the 2.5 motors. At least that is what people on SL-I.net say and Grimmspeed.

About the Ebay Timing belt kit. GD told me either Mizumoauto or Theimportexports.

I'm not following what you are talking about.

All 2.2 auto's since 95 have EGR so they have the foot long metal tube(for the year span you're talking about).