Ultimate Subaru Message Board

stock offroading

bonvo

what limitations have you guys run into while wheeling with a stock set up? ive discovered that even for mild stuff (fire roads quad trails) ground clearence is an issue (obviously) anyone else notice other things that need attention when off the road? got pics of a stocker in the dirt?

heres a video of my stocker climbin a hill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNj3V...D0E&lf=mh_lolz

Granted I have had 14" PUGs on it in all these pics. But at the time it only had street tires on so it sorta counts.

Other than that pretty stock. (by the time they published it, I had taken the welded rear diff out and it still can do those trails no problem with the open diff with proper line picking)

http://rides.4wheeloffroad.com/ride/1115107/teamcf/1983/subaru/gl/photos/3.html

A few more recent vids.

Just playing in a gravel pit on an NWXJA run.

These two were the last time I drove it with the Hitachi on it. (This explains all the stalling, it was to the point you had to pump the pedal to keep it running. Not always easy to do on trails.)

Edited by TeamCF

My first subaru was a 84 brat.I put a weber carb on it.Offroad the only limitations I had was traction.My next subaru was lifted 2" with 235's.I was limited by lack of power and/or gearing. Now I have power, gearing, and traction, now I am limited by breaking parts.

Articulation, or lack thereof, is always what kills me.

But in low-range these things will climb anything, and the smaller tires help compensate for the lack of power. The biggest problem with lifting is that the taller gearing of big tires makes you run out of balls real quick, and can also wreak havoc on the stock clutch which only has like 600ft-lbs of claming pressure.

• 2 weeks later...

I think my problems wheeling always are related to approach and departure angles. I'm always bangin the front and draggin the rump roast on something! on my baja especially. I've pretty much givin up wheelin it on rocks cuz it's gettin all boogered up.

my 84GL has that problem too, but not near as bad. it's ugly anyhow, so I just use more momentum if it doesn't make it up the 1st time:burnout:

• 3 weeks later...

My project Loyale 2wd sedan (when it was running) was bone stock and it went pretty much anywhere I wanted it to.

Climbed decent sand hills and in the snow it was ridiculous, I've had multiple people come up to me asking if it was a 4x4.

Clearance sucked that's no doubt other that that A skid plate would be nice :grin: hahaha I have pictures of me My Roo somewhere around here on my computer..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...