Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'00 legacy rear brake issue

replacing rear pads on my outback wagon the rotors are actually rusty around the inner and outer edge and the pads are only making contact on the inside 1" of the rotor. The other issue the inside pads on bothe sides are war down to nothing and the outside pads are like new

Any help appreciated thanks Tom

Often asked. There is a thread here this week.

Need to disassemble it all, clean and lube sliders, pad carriers and shims, etc, and new pads and rotors.

If you just throw pads/rotors at it and don't free it up on the slides you'll be doing it again soon. And more importanly will likely effect mileage and/or stopping power.

• 3 weeks later...

How'd it go? That does sound like siezed sliders. Then the caliper cannot center itself over the rotor, so the inner pad (the one on the caliper's side) wears out while leaving the other pad untouched. Usually on this job I find when removing the rear rotors on these Subaru's that often the parking brake shoes come loose from their linings, so usually I get the parking brake kit too. The hardware kit with springs and stuff is only about $4 from places like Rockauto.