Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 solid disc brakes vs. vented

Is there any difference in the component parts of ea81 solid rotor brake systems and the vented ones? That is, are the calipers, pads, hubs, axels all the same or at least interchangable?

Furthermore, what years/models got the vented rotors and what got solid? Any difference in performance? I imagine the vented rotors stay cooler and are therefore less prone to warping?

lastly, are the rear discs from ea82 era cars the vented style?

Caliper, caliper bracket, and rotor are different. The pads are the same. Usually if you order rebuilt calipers from like rockauto.com, etc they will come with brackets.

Vented front rotors was an 83.5 deal. Some late 83's got them. All 84+ got them. They went to vented to stop them from warping and keep them cooler.

Rear disc brakes are almost never vented. Even Outback's and GT's don't have rear vented discs. There are some anomoly's out there such as the 91 to 94 Legacy turbo and of course the STi's have them. EA82's were never equipped with such things and they wouldn't really be useful anyhow. The rear's do 20% of the braking and don't need that level of cooling.

GD

Thanks for very complete answers indeed. So If i want to convert to vented, I need calipers and brackets.

Part of the reason that I ask is years ago I had pulled an axel from a junkyard car and it did not quite work, the outermost part of the stub was not the right length, and when the axel was installed there was still in/out play on the wheel. I checked and double checked and triple checked and eventually matched it up to other axels I had used and it was not the same. I always wondered if this was due to it coming off of a vented rotor car, but i am leaning toward the JY car had actually the wrong axel installed or a rebuilt axel with the wrong spindle used by accident.

Do you know of any reason one ea81 axel would be different from another? I understand 4wd drive and Fwd axels are different, but it is my understanding that is just the diameter of the main shaft and that all though not the same, they are interchangable

I would still like to convert to vented regardless, I have warped some rotors in the past, I do a lot of mountain driving, and even the best mountain drivers are on the breaks more than flatlanders